Alex and I went to Out of Africa in PJ this past week. It’s a favorite of ours. The restaurant is in a sports complex, and the area has been newly renovated, and is just a gem. Alex goes and plays squash, then heads over to the bar for drinks once a week or so, and when I can join, I love to. The food quality is consistently very high (some of the best in KL!), and the owners (South African) are super friendly and always around socializing with their guests. If you live in the KL area, and haven’t been, put it on your must visit list!
Other than that, our week has been super chill! Lots of spinning, yoga, and great workouts at the gym. And lots of work accomplished.
Alex surprised me the other day with tickets to Langkawi (an island in Malaysia near Thailand). We are heading out today! To make sure I have food options while we travel, I always pack some easy meals/snacks. For this trip (3 days, and we aren’t sure I will be able to eat on the island we are staying on- it’s a very small island off of the main island), I packed:
- Plain yogurt
- Molasses Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies (recipe is being developed- these ones are not perfect yet, but the recipe will be up as soon as it’s up to par! We have been enjoying them anyway).
- Cut up carrots, bell peppers, and cucumber
- Lara Bars
- Instant Oat Bran packets– I love these for traveling- I almost always have them with me when I travel. Recipe: 1/4 cup oat bran, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 tablespoon dried unsweetened coconut, 1/2 tablespoon raisins, and 1-2 tablespoons of other nuts/seeds. Add all to snack sized resealable bag, and it’s much better (and healthier) than any instant oatmeal you can buy in the store. It’s super easy to get cups of hot water at coffee shops or heat up water in a hotel room, and it keeps me full for hours if I don’t have other meal options.
We’re hoping to do the Sky Bridge while in Langkawi, but will have to check the schedule, since we’re only there a few days.
- I read a great article on Xylitol. It’s a sweetener I can’t buy in Malaysia, but have brought some back with me from the States once, and really enjoyed using it. I can’t tolerate artificial sweeteners. Stevia is the worst- it makes me sick for days with the worst digestion issues! Has anyone else experienced that? I’d love a magical non caloric natural sweetener to someday show up on the market, but I have learned that small amounts of honey, natural molasses sugar, and blackstrap molasses are the best options for my body. Oh, and bananas and dates! Great natural sweeteners.
- These tart cherry margaritas are right up my alley! They remind me of my friend Aydika- when she and I first met, most of our time hanging out together was spent muddling up whatever fruit was in season with vodka and hanging out on my patio. I miss her and all those chill dinner dates we had together in Portland!
- I love cabbage salads, and this Asian Cabbage Slaw by Food, Fitness, Fresh Air looks amazing. I love the addition of basil!
- Three Beans on a String add mint to a simple salad of tomatoes and cucumbers. I love fresh summer food.
- And if you need any more reasons to eat coconut — try some of these! I’ve been in heaven since coconut was taken off the health blacklist and has suddenly become a superfood.
- Olena at iFoodreal.com has been killing it lately with her recipes (it’s like she’s in my mind- exactly how I like to cook!). Last week I was head over heals for her Greek Salad dip (which I’ve made twice now!), this week , I’m drooling over her Creamy Mexican Kale Salad. I’ve tried to make salad dressing with avocado before- but she’s figured out how to make it pourable. Add water. Great way to not add oil to avocado, which has enough healthy fats as it is!
- A while back, Alex and I analyzed our grocery bills to find out why we were spending so much on groceries. Turns out, 60% of our bill was spend on produce. We live in a country where getting quality produce just is expensive! We decided not to try to cut back on our grocery bills, because eating a produce-heavy diet is important to us. Mark Sission leads a good discussion on this topic at How Much are you Willing to Pay for your Health? on Mark’s Daily Apple.
- I’ve been struggling with a lower back injury for years ago. For the past month, it’s flared up and caused a lot of stiffness and pain. I’ve been going to yoga 5 or 6 days a week to keep it stretched out, but am having to heavily modify a lot of poses because it hurts to bend forward. One yoga instructor, even after I told her my back was hurting, kept pushing me into poses I just couldn’t do- resulting in leaving class with a sore back for the rest of the day. Michelle and Lori at Purely Twins discuss — Why You Shouldn’t Feel Bad Modifying your Exercises — something we all need to remember to take care of our bodies!
- I love this quote– “Losing weight isn’t about doing one good thing like going for a run or throwing kale in your smoothie. It’s made up of a million healthy choices you make all day long, every day.” So true! And the same goes for a healthy lifestyle in general, not just losing weight. Read What to do to Drop Pounds at Every Hour for some ideas you might not have tried!
- Reading this article, Are you Addicted to your Coffee, has given me some perspective! No, I’m not addicted to my coffee. I just enjoy it. So I will continue to enjoy my 2-3 cups a day (most days) without the guilt. The amount of java she discusses in this article far exceeds what I would consider an “okay” amount.
- Colored Mat Gallery Wall, by A Beautiful Mess. I love this idea. Often gallery walls look messy to me, but this is so bright and fun. And customizable. I have a lot of ideas of things I’d like on the walls of my office at home, so I think I am going to use this tutorial as a springboard to finally get to work on it!
- On the same topic of doing something with this home office- Coco + Kelley shows how the right color of paint can make all the difference. More to think about! My summer is suddenly feeling much too short.
- 2-Ingredient Homemade Body Lotion, by the Detoxinista. Looks super rich and creamy. I am going to try to make this and add some essential oils- maybe peppermint, or something citrusy, like grapefruit.
- Swimwear Must Haves, by Moi Contre La Vie. Caity shows that 1 piece swimwear is stylish and sexy.
Have a great week!