A vegetarian Niçoise salad? How can that be? This mayo-free potato salad has all the Niçoise toppings, tuna optional. With hard boiled eggs, it has a great dose of protein already.
It may be strange that I have a compulsion to celebrate holidays from America, too, given how many holidays we have in Malaysia. To set the record straight, I also make special meals on St. Patrick’s Day and Cinco de Mayo. Why not? It’s fun to have an excuse to be creative and make a special meal.
This salad is mayo free, and also much lower in fat and calories than your typical potato salad. I have had an irrational fear of mayo since I was a small child. If it is on my plate, I can’t eat anything. The fear is that strong. I’ve never been a potato salad fan, until this little creation came out of my kitchen.
Last night, I served it with grilled salmon and added a layer of spinach underneath the salad. This week for work lunches, I plan on putting it on a bed of lettuce, and then adding some canned tuna. So, I’ll have a healthy, high protein lunch put together in a snap.
- 8 small potatoes (I used white potatoes)
- 4 eggs, (hard boiled, and diced)
- 2 cups fresh green beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 (15-oz) can black olives (or your favorite olives)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- sea salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste (after dressing is added)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh tarragon (finely chopped, optional)
- 1½ tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Boil potatoes until they are soft. I leave the peels on. They are done with the peel easily comes off.
- Blanch or lightly steam the green beans until crisp tender. Cool.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, add the egg, steamed green beans, cherry tomatoes, olives, bell pepper, and chopped parsley.
- To make the dressing, add all ingredients to a small container, and shake or stir well. Pour the dressing over the salad, and stir until the egg yolks and potatoes have mixed with the dressing to create a creamy salad.
- Season with extra sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, if needed.
This creates a super fast, filling lunch option with a bed of lettuce and some canned tuna.