Detox Mexican Vegetable Soup
A healthy, detoxifying vegetarian soup recipe, spiced up with the best of Mexican flavors. I used sweet potatoes in this recipe, but I've used white potatoes and carrots in the past. Both are great, healthy options!
Servings: 8 people
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions diced
- 1 can tomatoes chopped, 15 ounce can
- 10 cups water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon powder, I love Rupunzel
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- sea salt to taste
- cayenne to taste
- 2 teaspoons oregano Mexican, different than standard oregano
- 2 sweet potatoes chopped into dice sized cubes
- 2 green peppers diced finely
- 2 ears fresh corn removed from ear
- 3 cups fresh green beans chopped
- 3 cups cabbage finely shredded
In a large soup pot, add olive oil and diced onions. Cook over medium high heat, stirring, until onions are translucent and starting to brown.
Add diced tomatoes, water, and vegetable bouillon, and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
Season the broth with spices, and add sea salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
Add the sweet potatoes and bell peppers, and cook until the potatoes are soft.
Add the green beans, corn and cabbage, and continue to cook for another 3-6 minutes. I prefer these vegetables still crisp.
Calories: 107kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 75mg | Potassium: 439mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 5499IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2mg