Kale Salad with Quinoa and Blueberries
This summery salad is packed with superfoods, lending to a salad full of flavors, textures, and a variety of nutrients. Serve this salad as a light summer meal or add grilled meats to round it out.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 bunch kale lacinato or Tuscan
- 1 cup quinoa cooked (from 1/2 cup of dry quinoa) and cooled
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 English cucumber sliced
- 1 avocado
- 2 beets spiralized
Basil Balsamic Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Add all dressing ingredients to a blender and pulse until basil is chopped fine.
Cut the kale in bite sized pieces. Pour dressing on the kale, and massage dressing into the kale. Refrigerate the salad covered for at least 1 hour, but optimally 4-6 hours.
Add the rest of the ingredients into the salad and serve. The salad is great on days 2 and 3 because the kale and beets stay firm and soak in the flavors of the dressing.
How to Store: Store leftovers in an air tight container for up to 3 days. The kale will retain texture even after dressed and possibly just get better over the next couple of days!
If you know you won't be eating the whole salad and plan on keeping it for meals later on, keep the avocado out of the salad and add it to serve to prevent it from browning or getting too soft.
- Sub the fruit: I've also made this salad with cherries instead of blueberries. I imagine strawberries or raspberries would be just as delicious as well!
- Make it Paleo/Whole30: Omit the quinoa, or sub cooked and cooled cauliflower rice.
- Lower the Carbs: Sub cooked and cooled cauliflower rice in place of the quinoa to lower the carbs in this recipe.
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 29mg | Potassium: 506mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1965IU | Vitamin C: 31.4mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2mg