Gluten Free Cornbread Muffins
Delicious, fluffy cornbread muffins, stuffed with sausage, green chilis, and cheddar cheese. A great grab-and-go breakfast with the protein included!
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk (or sub other milk of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar (or other)
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
Preheat oven to 400º F. Line a muffin pan with parchment liners and set aside.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, add milk and vinegar. Set aside.
Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
In the bowl with the milk and vinegar, add the rest of the wet ingredients, and mix together well.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until there are no more dry spots, without over mixing.
Into the batter, add the sliced sausage, cheddar cheese, and green chilis. Stir to evenly combine in batter. If desired, reserve some of the cheese to top each muffin with a little.
Scoop the batter nearly to the top of each muffin cavity.
Bake muffins for 25-29 minutes, until the cheese on top is golden brown and the centers are fully cooked.
- Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread: Add 1/2 cup of very thinly sliced jalapenos, along with 1 cup of shredded cheddar to your batter, and bake as directed.
- Green Chili Cornbread: Drain a can of green chilis and mix into the batter, and bake as directed. Drain the excess liquid off the green chilis.
- Honey Bacon Cornbread: Cook 6 slices of bacon until crisp, and then crumble them. Increase the honey to 1/4 of cup. Fold bacon into the cornbread batter prior to pouring it into the baking dish. Serve cornbread with additional honey.
Calories: 237kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 451mg | Potassium: 183mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 347IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 153mg | Iron: 1mg