You’ll adore these gluten free cornbread muffins made with sausage, green chilis, and cheddar cheese! They are a perfect savory breakfast when you need something to grab and go. Customize these fluffy cornbread muffins with your favorite cheese, or use jalapenos to add some extra spice.
This post is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm — a company committed to bringing you high quality breakfast meat options. I only work with brands whose products I genuinely love. Thank you for supporting the brands that help keep Sunkissed Kitchen running!
Sausage, Green Chili, and Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
Who isn’t a cornbread fan? Slightly sweet, perfectly smeared with butter, served hot, it’s the perfect addition to soups, stews, and chilis.
I’ve been wanting to make a jalapeno cheddar cornbread for a while, but then I was thinking how delicious it would be with my favorite turkey sausage from Jones Dairy Farm.
The three together?! Amazing!
I always have Jones Dairy Farms certified gluten free sausage and bacon in my freezer. It’s a perfect way to add a pop of protein to quick meals, plus I love their clean ingredient lists!
For this recipe, I used the All Natural Golden Brown Turkey Sausage. Chopped up and mixed into the sweet, fluffy cornbread batter, then punctuated with green chilis and cheddar cheese — a dream!
The perfect to-go breakfast. In fact, these have everything you need for a snack or even a quick lunch, also.
Hop on over to Jones Dairy Farms website to see where the items are sold near you!
How to Make Gluten Free Cornbread Muffins
Step 1: Add vinegar to the almond milk and set aside. This makes an almond “buttermilk.”
Step 2: Into a medium sized mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients. Whisk to combine them well.
Step 3: Add the wet ingredients into another medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk to combine them.
Step 4: Add the dry ingredients into the wet, and mix together.
Step 5: Add the sausage, cheddar cheese, and green chilis into the batter, and stir.
Step 6: Add the batter to the muffin pan. Fill each almost to the top, and top with additional cheddar cheese, if desired.
Step 7: Bake the cornbread muffins for 27 minutes. Allow them to cool for at least 10 minutes before popping them out of the muffin pan and enjoying warm!
Variations on Gluten Free Cornbread Muffins
Plain Gluten Free Cornbread Muffins: You can always forgo the additions, and bake these as plain fluffy cornbread muffins! This recipe was adapted from my Gluten Free Cornbread recipe.
Add some Spice!: Instead of the green chilis, use 1/2 cup of chopped, thinly sliced jalapenos.
Try your Favorite Cheese: Love swiss, pepperjack, or feta cheese? Swap it out for the cheddar!
Try Bacon!: Jones Dairy Farm Cherrywood Smoked Bacon is one of my favorites of theirs. Cook the bacon crisp, crumble it, and add it along with the green chilis and cheddar instead of the sausage.
Gluten Free Cornbread Muffins
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk (or sub other milk of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar (or other)
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 package Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Golden Brown Turkey Sausage Links cooked and sliced thin
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup green chilis drained, from a can
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Line a muffin pan with parchment liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, add milk and vinegar. Set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- In the bowl with the milk and vinegar, add the rest of the wet ingredients, and mix together well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until there are no more dry spots, without over mixing.
- Into the batter, add the sliced sausage, cheddar cheese, and green chilis. Stir to evenly combine in batter. If desired, reserve some of the cheese to top each muffin with a little.
- Scoop the batter nearly to the top of each muffin cavity.
- Bake muffins for 25-29 minutes, until the cheese on top is golden brown and the centers are fully cooked.
- Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread: Add 1/2 cup of very thinly sliced jalapenos, along with 1 cup of shredded cheddar to your batter, and bake as directed.
- Green Chili Cornbread: Drain a can of green chilis and mix into the batter, and bake as directed. Drain the excess liquid off the green chilis.
- Honey Bacon Cornbread: Cook 6 slices of bacon until crisp, and then crumble them. Increase the honey to 1/4 of cup. Fold bacon into the cornbread batter prior to pouring it into the baking dish. Serve cornbread with additional honey.