Learn the best way to cook spaghetti squash! This tutorial on how to cook spaghetti squash also has suggested spaghetti squash recipes. This low carb winter squash is a great way to add more vegetables to your diet when the weather is cold out!
- 1 A Delicious Cold Weather Vegetable Dish!
- 2 How to Prepare Spaghetti Squash for Baking
- 3 How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
- 4 Cook Spaghetti Squash in Half the Time
- 5 How to Microwave Spaghetti Squash
- 6 How to Serve Spaghetti Squash
- 7 Spaghetti Squash Recipes:
- 8 How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
A Delicious Cold Weather Vegetable Dish!
If you’ve never cooked spaghetti squash, you’re in for a treat!
This low carb winter squash has a mildly sweet flavor, and a pleasant stringy texture – similar to pasta! It’s delicious served on it’s own (I love it with butter, salt and pepper), but because of it’s mild flavor, also makes a great substitute in a variety of pasta and noodle dishes.
You’ll LOVE Spaghetti Squash because:
- It has 42 calories per cup, and 2 grams of fiber – a great swap for higher cal, lower nutrient pasta.
- It’s high in Vitamin C, magnesium, folate, calcium and iron. It’s a perfect way to up your nutrient intake when you want a warming meal. These nutrients support your immune system, as well as curb your risk of chronic inflammatory diseases.
- It’s delicious and versatile! I love it in these Sausage Spaghetti Squash Boats, and also love it served as Pesto Spaghetti Squash.
- It only takes a few minutes to cut a spaghetti squash, season it, and toss it in the oven — it bakes in about 40 minutes while the you prepare the rest of your meal! (See tips on how to bake spaghetti squash in 20 minutes if you’re crunched for time!).
How to Prepare Spaghetti Squash for Baking
One of my favorite winter veggies is roasted spaghetti squash. This fun, low carb alternative to pasta is high in fiber, low in calories, and has a delicious sweet taste.
We use this squash as a base for our favorite pasta sauces, but also like to serve this chicken curry over the top.
Step 1: Use a large knife to cut the squash in half. Be patient and cut slowly to prevent accidents! The outer shell is hard and can be difficult to cut through, so be sure to use a sharp knife.
Once the squash is cut in half, use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. The seeds can actually be separated from the stringy pulp and toasted in the oven. They have a similar flavor to pumpkin seeds and a ton of health benefits.
Step 2: Run or spray the cut side of the squash with olive or avocado oil (I prefer avocado oil), and season it with salt and pepper.
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
Step 1: Prepare squash as described above, and then place flesh side down on a baking tray.
Step 2: Bake squash for 45 minutes – 1 hour, depending on the size of the squash. Test to see if your squash is done by pulling on the strands with a fork. They should easily separate from skin, but not be mushy and easily break.
Cook Spaghetti Squash in Half the Time
Step 1: Lay the half moons out on a baking tray in a single layer, and season with avocado oil, salt and pepper.
Step 2: Bake the thinly sliced squash for 20 minutes, or until the strands easily pull with a fork.
How to Microwave Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash, like other winter squashes, can be cooked in the microwave. This is the quickest way to enjoy the squash. Prepare it in a similar way to getting it ready to bake, but place half of the squash cut side down in a microwave safe dish, and microwave for 12-15 minutes, until the squash strands easily pull away, but aren’t mushy.
How to Serve Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash is delicious enjoyed alone with simply salt and pepper.
However, if you want ideas for turning this delicious vegetable into a mean, try:
- Tossing the squash strands with pesto.
- Sprinkling it with parmesan cheese.
- Topping it with your favorite veggie or meat sauce, like my Chicken Sausage Spaghetti Sauce.
- As a base for meat cooked in the crockpot, like my saucy and delicious Crockpot Enchilada Chicken.
Spaghetti Squash Recipes:
- Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Pesto Spaghetti Squash, from Blissfully Low Carb
- Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash, by The Forked Spoon
- Tex Mex Spaghetti Squash Boats, by iFoodReal
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and discard them.
- Rub the inside of the squash with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash cut side down on a baking tray. I like to use parchment or a baking mat for easy clean up.
- Bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour, depending on size of squash. When the squash is ready, the strands will easily pull away from the inside of the squash.
- Serve alone, or dress up the squash like your favorite pasta dish. Try butter and parmesan cheese, pesto, or your favorite pasta sauce.