Learn the best way to cook spaghetti squash! This tutorial on how to cook spaghetti squash also has suggested spaghetti squash recipes. Low carb spaghetti squash is a great way to add more vegetables to your diet in the winter.
How to Prepare Spaghetti Squash for Baking
One of my favorite winter veggies is spaghetti squash. This fun, low carb alternative to pasta is high in fiber, low in calories, and has a delicious sweet taste.
We use this squash as a base for our favorite pasta sauces, but also like to serve this chicken curry over the top.
To Prepare Spaghetti Squash for Baking:
- Use a large knife to cut the squash in half. Be patient and cut slowly to prevent accidents! The outer shell is hard so difficult to cut through, so be sure to use a sharp knife.
- Once the squash is cut in half, use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. The seeds can actually be separated from the stringy pulp, and toasted in an oven, and have a similar nutty flavor to pumpkin seeds and tons of health benefits. Typically, I don’t take the time to do this!
- Rub or spray the cut side of the squash with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3 Methods for How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
My favorite way to cook spaghetti squash is to bake it in the oven. It does take an hour, but it’s so easy to get it ready and pop it in.
You can also cook spaghetti squash by:
- Cut down cooking time by cutting spaghetti squash in rings, and baking it on a baking tray. The thinner pieces of squash mean you’ll be ready to enjoy it in half the time.
- Spaghetti squash, like other winter squashes, can be cooked in the microwave. This is the quickest way to enjoy the squash. Prepare it in a similar way to getting it ready to bake, but place it cut side down in a microwave safe dish, and microwave half of the squash at a time for 12-15 minutes.
How to Serve Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash is delicious enjoyed alone with simply salt and pepper.
However, if you want ideas for turning this delicious vegetable into a mean, try:
- Tossing the squash strands with pesto.
- Sprinkling it with parmesan cheese.
- Topping it with your favorite veggie or meat sauce, like my Chicken Sausage Spaghetti Sauce.
- As a base for meat cooked in the crockpot, like my saucy and delicious Crockpot Enchilada Chicken.
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and discard them.
- Rub the inside of the squash with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash cut side down on a baking tray. I like to use parchment or a baking mat for easy clean up.
- Bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour, depending on size of squash. When the squash is ready, the strands will easily pull away from the inside of the squash.
- Serve alone, or dress up the squash like your favorite pasta dish. Try butter and parmesan cheese, pesto, or your favorite pasta sauce.
Spaghetti Squash Recipes:
- Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash, by The Forked Spoon
- Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns, by InstruPix
- Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai, by Wholesome Yum
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I will receive part of the sale as a commission. This helps me continue to bring you lots of fresh and inspired recipes!