A mouthwatering breakfast, perfect for weekend mornings. This Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet has it all — kale, bacon, and eggs, making this a perfect 1 pan meal. A perfect Whole30 breakfast option, this skillet is a great for meal prep and delicious for any meal.
*Today I’m partnering with Sharp Home USA ~ Sharp creates quality home appliances that make life easier!
A Delicious Whole30 Breakfast Option
If you’re like me, having a healthy breakfast planned and ready to go makes it so much easier to stick to healthy eating.
I am super lazy about eating in the mornings. I either skip it all together or grab something quick that isn’t exactly smart fuel for my morning.
That’s why I am making more of an effort to prepare dishes like this sweet potato breakfast skillet that taste just as great cold the day after as they do hot out of the oven.
Whether you are looking for a delicious, family-friendly option for a slow Saturday morning, or a healthy prep to make for yourself to get you through a busy week, this Whole30 breakfast skillet won’t disappoint!
You’ll Love this Skillet Because:
- In one pan, you get it all! Healthy carbs from the sweet potatoes, protein and flavor from the bacon and eggs, and some green goodness from the kale.
- An easy blend of Southwest seasonings gives this a flavor-kick with a little spice.
- It bakes in the oven — first soften the sweet potatoes and the onions, then add the bacon and kale, and last add the eggs so everything comes out baked perfectly without any need to dirty a second pan.
The Sharp SuperSteam+ Built-In Wall Oven
I have had such a great time learning how to use the different features of my Sharp SuperSteam+ Built-in Wall Oven.
While it does bake with superheated steam, it also uses convection, and has special settings for proofing bread doughs, baking breads, steaming foods, and evening broiling and grilling.
The superheated steam allows the oven to bake faster than a conventional oven, while keeping food moist. The Convection Bake, Grill and Roast modes are all great for browning meats and creating great crusts.
I love doing dishes like this Sweet Potato Skillet in my steam oven. If you think this might be the perfect addition to your dream kitchen, hop on over to Sharp Home USA’s website and learn more about it.
How to Make a Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet
Step 1: Add avocado oil to a 10-12 inch cast iron skillet (be sure the skillet fits in the steam oven first!), and then add the chopped sweet potato, onions, and spices. Cook the sweet potato mixture on the stovetop over medium heat for about 15 minutes, until the onions and sweet potatoes have softened.
Step 2: Into the skillet, add the kale and the bacon. Mix the kale into the sweet potatoes, and place the bacon on top so it crisps and helps keep the kale from burning. Place the skillet in the oven for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Take the skillet out of the oven (being careful of the very hot handle!), and use a wooden spoon to make 4 divots in the mixture. Place an egg in each divot. If you need to cook more eggs, you can probably fit up to 6 in the skillet. Return the skillet to the oven to cook the eggs for 7-10 minutes, depending on desired doneness.
Step 4: Garnish the skillet with chopped green onions, if desired. Otherwise, serve hot.
This makes a great meal prep option, so if you are just feeding yourself, enjoy one portion hot and pack up the other portions for meals for the next few days. This last 3-4 days in an air tight container in the fridge.
Variations on this Healthy Breakfast Skillet
- You can lower the carbs and calories in this skillet by using butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes. The butternut squash will cook faster than sweet potatoes, so lower the cooking time in step 1 by about 5 minutes.
- Not a sweet potato fan? You can sub regular white potatoes in here and follow the rest of the instructions as written.
- Need this dish to be vegetarian? Just omit the bacon!
- Add in other veggies, such as chopped peppers, broccoli, cauliflower or chard. Add these vegetables in the same time you add the kale and bacon.
You might also LOVE:
Sweet Potato and Kale Breakfast Skillet
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 sweet potatoes 1 1/2 pounds, chopped in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 onion diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- black pepper to taste
- 4 cups kale chopped
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 4 eggs
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, and add the avocado oil, sweet potatoes, and onions. Season with the salt, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper, stirring occasionally. Allow to soften for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the Sharp SuperSteam+ Built-In Wall Oven on Convection Bake at 400º F for 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale into the skillet and use a fork to mix it in to the sweet potato mixture. Add the bacon to to the top of the skillet, spreading it out over the top so the pieces bake and crisp up.
- Bake the skillet for 20 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, and use a fork to make 4 indentations around the skillet. Add 1 egg to each indentation.
- Return the skillet to the oven, selecting "more time," and add 7 minutes for medium done eggs, up to 10 minutes for well done eggs.
- Serve immediately.