Healthy, Whole30 breakfast burritos, wrapped in a collard green and filled with sweet potatoes, eggs, and turkey sausage. The perfect healthy wrap to start the day, these burritos meal prep well.
This post is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm — a company committed to bringing high quality breakfast meat options. I love that this company has healthier options, such as sugar free and nitrate free bacon, and antibiotic free and sugar free turkey and chicken sausage. I only work with brands whose products I genuinely love. Thank you for supporting the brands that help keep Sunkissed Kitchen running!
Paleo Breakfast Burritos
One of my favorite meals! I’ve been making these wraps for years with various fillings.
If you’ve never tried a collard wrap, you’re missing out! The collards have a hearty crunch and are less watery than other greens. They are large leaves and wrap into beautiful burritos.
These were essential to my diet when I was doing the Whole30 because:
- They are easy to make, and store well for days (meal prep to the rescue!)
- The fillings are customizable — if you’re so over eggs, the turkey sausage in these gives you all the protein you need!
- A handheld meal, these burritos give you all the nutrients of a salad, but are portable for on-the-go meals.
Even if you’re not on the Whole30, these are a great way to incorporate more veggies into your diet, without feeling like you are!
The Best way to Fill your Whole30 Breakfast Burrito
These burritos start with a creamy layer of sweet potato. I always have sweet potatoes on hand, and roasting them is a part of my meal prep. The creamy layer helps hold these together. You can also use butternut squash if you’d like to keep them lower carb, or even a cauliflower mash.
A fun and flavorful addition to these burritos is the cauliflower Mexi Rice. I make a simple version to add to the burritos and it only takes a couple of minutes! So many stores now carry riced cauliflower, so it’s as easy as stir frying it with some tomato paste and spices.
Best part? The heart of these burrito is the sausage and egg filling.
It can be difficult to find compliant breakfast meats on the Whole30, but Jones Dairy Farm has you covered! These are made with the Antibiotic Free No Sugar Turkey Sausage Links. Jones Dairy Farm also makes a chicken version, and have a No Sugar Hickory Smoked Bacon.
To find these products near you, check out the product locator!
I love these products because they taste amazing — but also because they are made with clean ingredients. The ingredient lists are so simple, just meat and spices.
How to Make Collard Wraps
These are really so simple to make!
Pro Tip: Soak the leaves in warmish-hot water for about 15 minutes before assembling. I use a large bowl, but a very clean sink will work also! This softens the greens and makes them more pliable.
Once all the fillings are prepared, assemble by:
- Remove the stems from the underside of the leaves, and put two leaves down with the stem sides facing in.
- Add sweet potatoes first, in a “burrito” shape in the center, and then load up with all your desired toppings.
- Fold the ends in to the center, and the wrap from left to right, holding the burrito ingredients inside. (watch video!)
- Cut in half, and serve with your favorite compliant salsa as a dip!
Whole30 Breakfast Burrito
- 8 collard greens
- 1 package Jones Dairy Farm Antibiotic Free No Sugar Turkey Sausage sliced
- 5 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 sweet potato large, baked (or 1 1/2 cup puree)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Cauliflower "Mexi Rice"
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Soak collard greens in warm (not hot) water for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare sweet potatoes by scooping the puree into a bowl, and mixing well with lime juice, cumin and sea salt.
- Prepare cauliflower rice by adding olive oil to a skillet over high heat. Add cauliflower rice, tomato paste, and spices. Stir fry for about 5 minutes until rice is heated through and tomato paste is mixed well.
- In a skillet, add sliced turkey sausage, and brown over medium high heat.
- Add eggs to a bowl, and beat well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the sausage has browned, add the eggs, and scramble together.
- Take 2 collard greens, and use a knife to remove the stem from the underside, and cut the stem off at the base of the leaf (watch the video to see how to do this).
- Place two leaves with the stem sides facing together, overlapping.
- Add the sweet potatoes into a "burrito" shape in the middle of the collards.
- Top the sweet potatoes with sausage and eggs, cauli rice, and other toppings.
- Start wrapping by folding the ends of the leaves to the center, and then wrap from side to side, into a burrito.
- Slice the burritos in half and serve with salsa to dip.
Other Whole30 Breakfast Recipes:
- Whole30 Sweet Potato Bacon Quiche, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Whole30 Frittata, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Whole30 Chia Pudding, by Sunkissed Kitchen
This Whole30 Breakfast Burrito post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I will receive part of the sale as a commission. This helps me continue to bring you lots of fresh and inspired recipes!