This Vegan Creamy Tomato Basil Soup recipe is one everyone will enjoy! It’s a great Whole30 soup packed with a variety of veggies. A dairy free tomato soup, this gets its creamy texture from a blend of cauliflower and cashews.
A Healthy & Hearty Cauliflower Tomato Soup
If you read along, you’ll know how much I love using cauliflower to replace “traditional” ingredients in recipes and make them healthier.
Tomato Basil Soup is a favorite of mine, but because I am lactose intolerant, I typically can not have it when I go out to eat. I don’t understand why cream soups are so popular, when there are many dairy free soups that are so delicious and much healthier (I suppose I could say something similar about most restaurant menu items!).
My issues with store bought canned soups — besides not tasting that great, they typically come with gluten and sugar. This one gets its creaminess from a puree of cauliflower and cashews, and it’s naturally sweet from the tomatoes and some carrots. A perfect Whole30 soup, but also a great option if you’re vegan or need to eat dairy free for any other reason.
How Do you Make Tomato Basil Soup?
This soup is easy to make — it’s contains lost of veggies, but they can be chopped and ready in about 10 minutes.
You’ll need to plan ahead if you’d like to soak your cashews first. I like to soak cashews overnight, but if I forget to do it or don’t have time, I just pour hot water over them and let them soak while I am preparing the rest of the ingredients.
The cauliflower will take about 15 minutes to steam — you’ll want it nice and tender for the smoothest texture “cream”. Once that’s done, I puree the cauliflower with the drained cashews, and a little water.
I saute the onions and garlic for a few minutes, add the carrots, celery, tomatoes, and vegetable broth, then let is simmer for about 20 minutes.
All that’s left at that point is to blend the tomatoes and veggies with the “cream.”
I like to top Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with a touch of reserved “cream”, chili flakes, and extra basil. Add parmesan cheese if you’d like, or crumbled crackers!
Tips for Vegan Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- Save Time: If you don’t have time to soak the cashews overnight, pour boiling water over the cashews and allow them to soak while you’re preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Make it Ahead: This soup freezes beautifully! When ready to serve, to thaw, or put the frozen soup in a large pot with a cup of water, and turn on low to gently and slowly reheat. This is a great recipe to keep frozen for healthy quick meals.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- 3 cups cauliflower roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cashews soaked overnight and drained
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic fresh, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot peeled, chopped
- 2 15-ounce diced tomatoes cans
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable boullion
- 1/2 cup basil leaves chopped
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Soak cashews in water overnight. Drain when ready to use. If there isn't time for this step, soak cashews in boiling water for 1 hour and drain to use.
- Add cauliflower to a steamer, and steam over medium high heat for 15 minutes.
- In a blender, add steamed cauliflower, soaked cashews, and 3/4 cup water. Process until a very smooth cream is formed. Set aside.
- In a saucepot, add olive oil and onion and garlic, and saute for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add chopped carrots and celery, and saute another few minutes, then add diced tomatoes, water, and vegetable bouillon . Bring back to a boil, and then simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the "cream, then add tomato soup to the blender, and process until very smooth.
- Return soup to pot, mix in fresh basil, and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Garnish soup with "cream", and then add extra fresh basil and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese if desired.
Other Whole30 Soup Recipes:
- Hearty Vegetable Soup, by iHeartNaptime
- Roasted Broccoli Soup with Lemon Tahini Cream, by The Endless Meal
- Creamy Sausage, Potato, Kale Soup, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Carrot, Apple, Fennel Soup, by Sunkissed Kitchen