This Roasted Beet and Carrot Quinoa Salad is a great bridge between roasted vegetable season and lemony-herb filled salad season.
Talking about lemony-herb filled salad season, is it too early to start counting the days until summer vacation?
I was 8-9 months pregnant over my last summer holiday, so I was stuck in Kuala Lumpur instead of getting to visit my family in the States. I am really looking forward to a trip home this summer, and getting to introduce my newest family member to all his relatives in Oregon.
It will be so strange to be in the town I grew up in with a new little one in tow. So much fun to get to see him enjoy all the things I did as a kid. Living in Kuala Lumpur is a whole different world to Bend, Oregon, and often feel sad about parts of his childhood that will be different from mine… but we are planning on moving before he is school aged, so that will change.
In the meantime, my mom is preparing to introduce him to life in the country. She is searching out plans to make him a fancy sandbox– because what kind of little boy doesn’t play in the dirt? (one that grows up in the city!).
And summer in Bend is so different than the year-round heat of Kuala Lumpur. I love the dry heat, and the cool mornings and evenings. It’s heat you look forward to instead of hiding from. When I am back visiting, my mom and I start our days when breakfast on the back patio, then hike/run/walk along the rivers, up the mountain paths, around the lakes, and then end many of our evenings back on the patio BBQing. Ahh, that is heaven.
This Roasted Beet and Carrot Quinoa Salad would taste even better on my mom’s back patio. Or along the river as a part of one our picnics.
A great addition to grilled meat, and the leftovers make a stand-alone meal on its own. It has great plant proteins from the quinoa and added nuts.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally
- 1 large beet root (or 2 small beets), peeled and cut into diced sized cubes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup pistachios, toasted
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup lemon juice (1 large lemon juiced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt (or more, to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cook the quinoa per package directions, and set aside. I take the lid off the quinoa and fluff with a fork after it's finished cooking to keep it from becoming overcooked.
- On a lined cookie sheet, add the carrots and beets, keeping separate. Drizzle both with olive oil and honey, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Use a spatula to mix up and coat all of the vegetables.
- Baked the vegetables for 30 minutes, until the beet root is very soft and the carrots have begun to brown and caramelize.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a small covered container and shake to mix well.
- Once veggies and quinoa are cooked and have begun to cool (but are still warm), add to a serving dish or bowl. Mix in the cilantro, and drizzle the dressing over the top.
- Garnish with toasted nuts right before serving.
- Summer Quinoa Salad, from Hip Foodie Mom
- Robust Smokey Grilled Chicken and Fresh Spring Millet Salad, by Strength and Sunshine
- Millet Salad with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Kale and Beans, by Edible Perspective
- Salmon Quinoa Salad, by Marla Meredith
- Balsamic Glazed Chicken and Millet Greek Salad, by Vitamin Sunshine