The first few days of September, and boy does fall kick in right on queue here in Oregon! I needed a fleece on my mid-day walk today. I am not complaining one bit! I actually love fall weather, and haven’t gotten to see fall in 7 years. I have been gone too long.
Chilly days are great for . . . warm mugs of tea and delicious, healthy pastries, right? And long walks with a screaming baby-almost-toddler who woke up and crawled around his bed for hours in the middle of the night– and who has had a tough time getting in the mood to play today.
And since I know you all would rather look at photos of my son than of my food (Social Media tells me so), here he is… walking now!
Chilly fall days are also for back to school — and I am happy to announce there is no “back to school” (work) for me this year! After much consideration, I have decided to stay home with Xander this year, spend more time in Oregon with my family, and work more on my blog! I am very excited to have the time to do all 3. It will be a real soul cleansing year (or 2… or 3… we will see! Being a mommy is so special).
I am not huge on pastries. Typical cookies, muffins, and scones are bursting with . . . sugar. Wouldn’t you rather have your breakfast burst with the flavors of fresh, seasonal fruit (yay peach season!) and sweet nuts? I would!
And I also want my family to enjoy these types of treats, and get a dose of nutrition rather than a spike in blood sugar.
These are adapted from my Strawberry Kiwi Shortcakes. I knew the minute I tasted those “shortcakes” that I needed to use that dough in other recipes. Scones were on the list (and there WILL be variations! Too delicious.), and now.. I want to use it for chicken and dumpling soup! Of course, I will post it if it turns out as delicious as I expect.
Tips for Gluten Free Peach and Pecan Scones
- Plan ahead when making these. The dough is very sticky, and is easiest to work with after it’s chilled for an hour. However, that makes these the perfect “make the night before” breakfast. Make the dough in the evening, and in the morning, just pop on some parchment, shape, and bake!
- These are small scones, so if planning these for breakfast, either plan 2 per person, or plan on serving alongside another dish.
- This batter is the perfect canvas for variations! Blackberries would be delicious this time of year, but you could also use frozen blueberries or strawberries any time of year! If you make a variation, please tell me in the comments, or tag me on Facebook or Instagram to share your creation!
Gluten Free Peach Pecan Scones
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 peach peach, thinly sliced, about 1 heaping cup
- 1/3 cup pecans 1/4 chopped, plus a few extra whole pecans for topping
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar for topping
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon for topping
- The dough for this recipe needs to be refrigerated for an hour to cool before shaping (for best results), so no need to preheat the oven until the dough is ready!
- Add all the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl, and stir to combine.
- Add all wet ingredients to a small bowl, mix to combine, then add to the dry ingredients. Mix to form a sticky dough.
- Add peaches and 1/4 cup of chopped pecans, and use your hands to mash the dough and peaches together. There is a large peach to dough ratio, so just press to mix it all together!
- Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour up to overnight before shaping.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees prior to shaping the dough.
- When the dough is ready, place on parchment paper, and use wet hands to shape into a round shape about 3/4 of an inch thick.
- Use a knife to cut into 6 wedges.
- Slightly separate the wedges so the edges cook evenly.
- Top with pecans and cinnamon/sugar blend.
- Bake for 24-27 minutes.
Other Healthy Breakfast Treats:
- Caramelized Peach Pancakes, by Cookie + Kate (have made these so many times this summer!)
- Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Muffins, from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal Waffles, by Healthy Nibbles and Bits
- Blissful Blueberry Breakfast Bars, by Vitamin Sunshine
- Double Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Muffins, by Vitamin Sunshine (a nod to fall!)