My mom knows me too well. I am pretty sure she knew I would make something like this Peach and Avocado Kale Salad if she laid the groundwork.
I came home a few weeks ago, and she had been shopping, stocking her fridge with all my favs — almond milk, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, apricots, peaches, asparagus, Greek yogurt, and KALE! Yes, I look forward to kale when I come home- because lacinato (AKA dinosaur or Tuscan) kale is amazing, and not available very many places.
I’ve been cooking and eating my way through all that produce– and we’ve had to restock on many of those things as well. So delicious.
Xander has also been enjoying all this amazing NW summer fruit. Berries are the perfect baby food. The perfect size. I have been letting him eat them all day long — because they are healthy, and because he is teething and hasn’t been wanting to eat much more.
Other things I look forward to when I come home to Oregon? Cool evenings, long walks along the river, BBQs, and seeing family! Lots and lots of family from all over the country are here in Bend with us right now. Worth the 25+ hours of traveling home.
I’ll write more about Xander’s first trip home in his birthday post. He is nearly a year old! We are having a “practice” birthday party here in Oregon, and then his official party back in KL on his actual birthday.
This salad is one we’ve made 3 times now– the almond butter was added the 2nd and 3rd time we made it. Our peaches were on the tart side, so the almond butter adds a nice toasty dimension to balance the salad out.
As with most kale salads, this one just gets better as it sits with the dressing. I “massage” the dressing into the shredded kale, and leave it in the fridge for a few hours until we are ready for dinner. Then, dinner is as simple as grilling some chicken or fish, and topping the salad with peach and avocado slices and toasted almonds.
Beautiful. Simple. Delicious.
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale (also called dinosaur or Tuscan kale)
- 1 ripe peach
- 1 ripe avocado
- ⅓ cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- pinch of sea salt
- Destem the kale. They are particularly large and tough in this variety of kale.
- Chop the kale and place in a large salad bowl.
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients. I like to do this in a blender, but if you prefer not to get yours dirty, just mix well with a small whisk.
- Massage the dressing into the kale well. Refrigerate the dressed kale for up to a day. I like to make it several hours before serving for the best taste and texture -- letting it "marinate" a few hours softens the kale.
- Right before serving (within an hour), add finely sliced peaches and avocado, and top with toasted almonds.