A fresh option, this Mediterranean Tuna Quinoa Salad is perfect for summer! It combines easy protein with steamed quinoa, tossed with Mediterranean style vegetables. It comes together quickly, and is perfect for meal prep or a light summer dinner!
Fresh Flavors, Filling Meal
This meal is delicious year round, but I adore fresh options like this during the hot summer months.
The only cooking required is steaming the quinoa. While the quinoa cools, chop some fresh veggies, and drain a can of tuna.
Voilà! Dinner is ready, without heating up your kitchen.
Quinoa salads are also perfect for meal prep. The quinoa soaks in the flavors of the dressing, making it possibly even better the next few days. Pack this up in several meal prep containers and grab one on the way out in the morning!
You’ll LOVE this recipe because:
- Quinoa and tuna are both great sources of protein, meaning a serving of this salad has 23 grams of protein!
- It uses simple ingredients – once you’re likely to have on hand. Keep olives, tuna, and quinoa in the pantry to make this anytime. Swap the veggies for others you have on hand!
- It stays fresh tasting for days! Enjoy the leftovers for lunch or make this for meal prep.
What You’ll Need
- Quinoa (I used white quinoa in this recipe, but red quinoa or black quinoa would also work!)
- Albacore Tuna (canned in water, make sure the only ingredients are tuna, salt and water)
- Olives (any kind! Kalamata olives, black olives, or Spanish green olives are all perfect here)
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Italian Parsley
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
Additions & Variations
- Red or Orange Bell Peppers
- Arugula or baby spinach
- A small ripe Avocado
- Zucchini (They would be great if they were cut into zucchini noodles)
- Canned Artichoke Hearts
- Fresh Herbs, like basil, cilantro, or spring onions
- Feta Cheese, Goat Cheese, or Parmesan Cheese
- Almonds, Walnuts or Pecans
- Pine Nuts or Pumpkin Seeds
- Lemon Juice for an extra burst of freshness!
How to Make a Tuna Quinoa Salad
Step 1: Cook the quinoa to package directions. When it’s done, fluff it with a fork, and allow it to cool to room temperature. This salad can be made with warm (not too hot) quinoa, or fully cooled quinoa, depending on how you’d like to serve it.
Step 2: Add the cooled, cooked quinoa to a large salad bowl, along with chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, parsley, olives, and tuna.
Step 3: Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Season it with salt and pepper, to taste.
Step 4: Toss the salad together, and adjust seasonings to taste.
How to Store Leftovers & FAQ
How to Store Leftover Tuna Salad:
Pack the salad in an air tight container, and refrigerate up to 4 days.
To meal prep this salad, divide it into multiple meal prep containers and refrigerate it until ready to enjoy.
Make this a Vegetarian Option
Omit the tuna and add a can of chickpeas to make this a plant based Mediterranean Quinoa Salad.
Other Healthy Quinoa Salad Recipes
Mediterranean Tuna Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa dry (cooked to package directions and cooled)
- 2 cans tuna drained
- 1 cup olives chopped
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup red onion very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa to package directions. Once cooked, fluff with a fork, and set aside to cool.
- Add the quinoa and chopped veggies to a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the salad with olive oil and red wine vinegar, and generously season it with salt and pepper. Toss the salad together, and adjust seasonings to taste.