This easy, flavorful Avocado Green Goddess Dressing is perfect for salads or to use as a veggie dipping sauce! It gets a double dose of creamy flavor from Greek yogurt and avocado, and is packed with plenty of fresh herbs. Extra thick, this is a dressing you’ll add to salads with a spoon!
The Perfect Green Goddess Dip, Spread, or Dressing!
This thick and creamy green goddess dressing is perfect for all your summer dipping, spreading, and dressing needs!
It’s that time of year when our gardens and farmer’s markets are bursting with fresh herbs. When I end up with too many to use in my cooking, I like to blend them up into delicious salad dressings.
Green Goddess Salad Dressing was originally created at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco using raw eggs, dijon, shallots, and lots of fresh herbs. It’s popularity quickly grew and this dressing remains a favorite in restaurants.
This version opts for avocado to double duty as extra creaminess and flavor!
Use whatever herbs you have available to you — I use dill, tarragon and Italian parsley. Fresh basil, cilantro, chevril, and chives are all delicious as well!
This dressing has a beautiful creamy texture and plenty of heart-healthy fats and dietary fiber. It’s the perfect addition to a healthy meal.
What You’ll Need
- Ripe Avocado
- Full Fat Greek Yogurt (or sour cream, if you prefer it)
- Olive Oil (or avocado oil)
- Lemon Juice (or fresh lime juice)
- Fresh Herbs (I used Italian Parsley, tarragon and dill. Use basil, cilantro, green onions or chives if you love them!)
- Fresh Garlic Clove (optional)
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Raw Garlic (optional, grate in to taste)
- Water (to thin dressing to desired consistency)
How to Make Avocado Green Goddess Dressing
Step 1: Add all ingredients to a food processor bowl.
Step 2: Process until the ingredients are smooth and creamy. Thin dressing out with water until desired consistency is reached (I use about 1/3 cup of water). Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
FAQ & How to Store Avocado Green Goddess Dressing
Thanks to the lemon juice, this avocado based salad dressing stores well in the fridge up to 5 days without browning.
Store the dressing in an airtight container or mason jar, and use it throughout the week.
Green Goddess Dip
This dressing is thick and creamy, perfect to use for crudités as a dip!
Use less water (or none at all) to keep the dressing extra thick, perfect for coating your family’s favorite veggies.
Vegan Green Goddess Salad Dressing
Easily adapt this recipe to be dairy free by using a plant-based yogurt.
How to Use Green Goddess
- Kale Salads (it would be delicious on this Kale Salad with Quinoa and Blueberries)
- Use in place of the caesar dressing in this Mexican Caesar Salad or any other romaine lettuce based salad.
- As a grain bowl topper, like over Roasted Veggie and Quinoa Bowls.
- As a drizzle on lettuce wraps, like these Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps.
Other Healthy Avocado Recipes
Avocado Green Goddess Dressing
- 1 avocado large, ripe
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt full fat recommended
- 1/3 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tarragon fresh, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons dill fresh, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers with brine
- 1/4-1/3 cup water to thin to desired consistency
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- fresh garlic grated, to taste, optional
- Add the avocado, Greek yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, capers, and herbs to a food processor bowl. Process until smooth.
- With the processor running, thin the dressing out with water.
- Season the dressing with sea salt, black pepper, and fresh garlic, to taste.