The BEST healthy Vegan Brownies — you choose with nuts, or without nuts. These healthier, flourless brownies are packed with dark chocolate flavor, are fudgy in the center, and extra chewy around the edges.
*Today I’m partnering with Sharp Home USA ~ Sharp creates quality home appliances that make life easier! I’ve been using the Superheated Steam Countertop Oven for the past few months, and can’t wait to share how it makes cooking healthy meals easier. Thanks for supporting me and the brands I work with. I only share this space with the very best.
Flourless, Gluten Free Vegan Brownies
You can tell a lot about a person by how they like their brownies.
Chewy, or cakey?
With nuts, or without?
Deep dark chocolate, or on the sweeter side?
I’m complicated. Deep, dark, chewy brownies with nuts for me, please! And there isn’t a close 2nd. To me, brownies exactly like this is all there is.
Six years in to blogging, and I don’t have a single brownie recipe on the site — and they are one of my favorite desserts!
And that’s is honestly because I have never made one that meets all these criteria, AND is made with healthier ingredients.
Today is the day, my friends!
How to Make Vegan Brownies
These flourless brownies are made with a base of almond butter. The dough is incredible thick and rich, so instead of trying to hand mix these, just use a food processor.
To up the fudgy factor of these, add some dark chocolate chips. Pulse these into the dry ingredients to mix these up. Don’t completely grind them up — we want some texture so there are little bites of hard chocolate when these brownies are chilled!
Once the dry ingredients are mixed together with the chopped chocolate chips, add the wet ingredients right into the food processor. No messing around with multiple bowls here!
Add nuts if you like, or leave them pure chocolate bliss.
These bake in only 12 minutes in the Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven. I love how using this small appliance not only makes things quicker (it bakes in about 2/3rds the time of a conventional oven), it also feels like less of a hassle — no preheating, so just mix up your brownies, pop them in the oven, and 12 minutes later … chocolate!
The Perfect Fudgy Brownies
Can I make these brownies nut free?
Yes! I have tested these with SunButter and they have a nuttier flavor, but they come out just as fudgy and delicious!
How do I make the brownies sweeter or less dark in flavor?
Use milk chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate chips to sweeten these up if you prefer a less dark chocolate flavor.
How do you make flax meal? Can I sub an egg?
I have tested these with an egg instead of flax, and the brownies come out more cakey and less chewy. You can purchase flax meal, but I prefer to make my own. I simply add whole flax seeds to my blender, and process until the seeds are broken down into a rough flour.
Are the chocolate chips vegan?
I use Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips because they have the highest cocoa content and the best ingredient list. They are vegan.
Fudgy Vegan Brownies
- 6 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 3 tablespoons moscavado sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 6 tablespoons date syrup
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 3 tablespoons strong coffee
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or other neutral tasting oil
- 1/3 cup walnuts chopped, optional
- Add the cocoa powder through baking soda to a food processor bowl, and process until the chocolate chips are broken down but still chunky.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except walnuts, to the food processor, along with the dry ingredients.
- Pulse to combine all ingredients until a very thick, sticky batter is formed. When it's combined, it will form a ball. This is because the almond butter "seizes" with the liquid ingredients.
- Stir in walnuts if adding.
- Line a baking tray with parchment, and press the stick dough into the pan in an even layer. This is easiest with wet hands. Smooth the top.
- Bake in the Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven on Bake/Reheat at 350º for 12 minutes.
- If using a conventional oven, preheat to 350º, and bake brownies for 17-20 minutes.
- Allow brownies to fully cool before slicing.
Other Vegan Dessert Recipes:
- Peppermint Raw Vegan Brownies, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- No Bake Almond Joy Cookies, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Healthy Breakfast Sundaes, by Sunkissed Kitchen
This Vegan Brownie post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I will receive part of the sale as a commission. This helps me continue to bring you lots of fresh and inspired recipes!