A healthy Baked Cod Recipe baked in a creamy roasted red pepper sauce. Learn how to make your own roasted red peppers and make a dreamy dairy free sauce!
*Today I’m partnering with Sharp Home USA ~ Sharp creates quality home appliances that make life easier! I’ve been using the Superheated Steam Countertop Oven for the past few months, and can’t wait to share how it makes cooking healthy meals easier. Thanks for supporting me and the brands I work with. I only share this space with the very best.
How to Make Roasted Red Peppers
If you’re wanting to add more seafood to your family’s diet, this baked cod recipe is for you!
Cod is a delicious lower cost fish that’s easy to keep on hand frozen. I’ve been buying wild cod and adding it in regularly to my family’s twice a week seafood dinners.
However, on it’s own, it’s not the most flavorful fish. This recipe includes a dreamy roasted red pepper sauce that’s easy to make and bursting with bright flavor.
Roasted red peppers are available canned at many grocery stores. Save time by going that route — or save money and make an even tastier sauce by roasting them on your own!
To make roasted red peppers:
- Cut peppers in half, and remove the seeds.
- Place peppers on a roasting pan, and drizzle or spray with olive oil or avocado oil.
- Broil for 20 minutes.
- Remove skins, which will easily pull off once they peppers are roasted.
A Dreamy Red Pepper Sauce
For this creamy, Whole30 approved sauce, you’ll need:
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice (to give it a tangy flavor)
- Almond Milk (use half & half or cream if you don’t need a dairy free sauce!)
- Parsley (fresh basil is also great!)
- Cayenne (because we like a little kick!)
- Salt & Pepper
Once your red peppers are roasted, throw them in a blender and process until everything is creamy and smooth. Taste, and adjust the cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
Add the sauce to the bottom of a baking dish, and add the cod fillets. The fish absorbs the flavor of the sauce while baking, and keeps the fish wonderfully moist!
How to Serve Baked Cod
I use my Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven often. Actually, I use it every day.
Mostly, it’s to reheat leftovers for my lunch, toast a bagel for my son, or to make a quick dessert for a snack. I love it because it’s so convenient. There is no need to preheat the oven, and it bakes faster than a conventional oven.
But where I have been most impressed by this little powerhouse is when I use it to bake fish or lean meats, like chicken or pork chops. These meats that easily dry out in a regular oven come out moist and perfectly seared. Just try it! You’ll be a convert, too!
Ideas to Serve this Dish:
- Whole30/Paleo: Serve this delicious fish over cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles. The sauce coats zoodles and is a great way to enjoy the extra sauce in the pan!
- This baked cod recipe is delicious served over rice or quinoa.
- My family enjoyed this recipe with a green salad, and with a French loaf to soak up the sauce.
Other Healthy Seafood Recipes:
- Mediterranean Baked Cod, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Baked Pesto Salmon, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Zucchini Salmon Patties, by Sunkissed Kitchen
Baked Cod in Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 4 cod fillets 4-5 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 3 red peppers halved and seeded
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup parsley or fresh basil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Add peppers to a baking tray, skin side up, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake in the Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven on Broil/Grill on 485º F for 20 minutes. If baking in a conventional oven, preheat the oven on broil, and place a rack in the middle of the oven. Bake peppers for 26-28 minutes, until the tops are charred.
- Once peppers have cooled, pull the charred skin off the peppers.
- Add the peppers and the rest of the sauce ingredients to a blender. Process until a creamy smooth sauce is formed.
- Pour sauce in a baking dish.
- Drizzle cod fillets with olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add cod fillets to the baking dish filled with red pepper sauce.
- Bake in the Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven on Broil/Grill on 485º F for 18 minutes.
- If baking in a conventional oven, preheat oven to Broil, and bake on the middle rack for 25 minutes.