This Winter Kale Brussels Sprouts Salad will brighten up any cold day. Filled with sweet fruit, warm roasted veggies, and crunchy nuts, the salad bowl will be empty after dinner.
We are currently waiting for the snow to clear so we can fly out of Bend. I must have prayed a little too hard for snow this Christmas, because we have been blasted. If the snow hadn’t also been accompanied by single digit temperatures, I would have more photos of the glistening white snow covering the town, but it’s difficult to dress a toddler in 4 layers and drag him out!
We are headed to the flip side of the planet (Australia) where temperatures have been reaching into the 100s. Talk about a shock! Hopefully it doesn’t take long to acclimatize.
I made this salad last week needing a break from soups. I have been making soup after soup for months now, and I love them, but sometimes you just need some fresh greens.
And I couldn’t resist topping them with my favorite winter fruit- pomegranate. I always have one in the fridge because Xander absolutely loves it. I give him little bowls of it and it’s like I’ve given him candy.
I roasted the butternut squash for this recipe cut in thin pieces. This is my favorite method for roasting squash for salads– thin slices let’s the squash cook really well, get a few crunchy pieces around the edges, and makes it super sweet. Despite this salad having pomegranate and orange, it’s really these roasted squash pieces that adds the real pop of sweetness.
And nuts! I am nuts for nuts in salads. Forget cheese. I rarely put it on. If you do love cheese in salads, a feta or goat’s cheese would be great with all these flavors — but I prefer the crunch of almonds and hazelnuts.
And because this salad is loaded with so many goodies, I kept the dressing super simple. Just olive oil, balsamic, and fruit juices. Have you read the label of store bought dressings recently? It’s incredible how much sodium is added to a typical balsamic vinaigrette. Try this dressing, and you’ll realize how absolutely unnecessary it is.
I’ll be posting from Australia this time next week! I hope to take some great photos for you to post along with all the delicious recipes I have saved up.
Tips for this Vibrant Winter Kale Salad
- Save time: Buy pre-cut butternut squash and pomegranate arils at Costco or Trader Joe’s if you need to put this salad together quickly. Also, the Kale and Brussels Sprouts greens bag at Costco can be subbed for the kale, brussels sprouts and cabbage in this recipe.
- Make it Ahead: This salad is best if made ahead! It’s wonderful even the next day. I suggest making this 4-5 hours ahead, but the night ahead works well too! If you can, add the roasted butternut squash and nuts right before serving.
Other Delicious Kale Salad Recipes:
- Winter Kale Super Salad, by A Pinch of Sanity
- Kale Caesar Salad, by Gimme Some Oven
- Chopped Thai Salad, by Pinch of Yum
- Golden Beet and Raspberry Kale Salad, by Vitamin Sunshine
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.