A healthier quiche made special with a sweet potato crust, bacon, kale and mushrooms. This gluten free breakfast casserole is perfect for a holiday, and can easily be made the night ahead and baked in the morning. Dairy free, this whole30 quiche is perfect for meal prep and stays moist and creamy with almond and coconut milk.
This post is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm — a company committed to bringing high quality breakfast meat options. I love that this company has healthier options, such as sugar free and nitrate free bacon, and turkey and chicken options. I only work with brands whose products I genuinely love. Thank you for supporting the brands that help keep Sunkissed Kitchen running!
A Holiday Perfect Breakfast Casserole
This is my new favorite breakfast! When I was young, my mom always made a quiche for breakfast on Christmas. It’s the perfect dish for a busy holiday morning, because it can be made the night ahead and baked the morning of. Plus, it feeds a crowd, and is always a hit.
This version is an updated version of something my mom would have made. Instead of a wheat crust, I made this one with sweet potatoes – think hash browns baked right into your eggs! Sweet potatoes make the perfect gluten free crust because no one will miss the traditional one.
I also have lightened it up a bit by using a blend of coconut milk and almond milk in place of the cream, and leaving out the cheese.
How to Make a Whole30 Quiche
Jones Dairy Farm produces a large range of breakfast meats, all gluten free. They never use binders or fillers, so their products are healthier, and let the natural flavors of the meat and spices shine through.
Visit the product locator on the Jones Dairy Farm website to find Jones Dairy Farm Bacon near you.
Once you’ve found the perfect bacon for this dish, it’s on to the sweet potatoes. I always start by making this dish by shredding the sweet potatoes in my food processor, and then baking the sweet potatoes in the baking dish to soften them.
While the sweet potatoes are baking, chop and cook the bacon, and then drain the excess bacon grease. Sauté onions, kale, and mushrooms in the remaining grease for additional flavor in this dish!
In a large bowl, beat 8 eggs, and then beat them with a mixture of unsweetened almond milk and coconut milk.
Once the sweet potatoes are baked, allow the dish to cool for 5 minutes, and then press the sweet potatoes down in the pan and up around the edges to form a crust.
I like to separate the bacon in 2 dishes, and mix half of it into the quiche, and then sprinkle the rest on top — the bacon will crisp on top leaving the best texture to this quiche! No one will miss the cheese with all the flavor here.
Variations on this Healthy Dairy Free Quiche
Want a more traditional flavor?
- Don’t worry about the flavor of the coconut milk. When mixed with an unsweetened almond milk, the two together add a soft custardy texture to this dish, but the flavor of the coconut milk doesn’t come through at all.
- If you’re seeking a gluten free quiche but still want the cheese, add 1/2 cup Gruyere swiss cheese (or other cheese of choice) into the egg mixture, and then add another 1/2 cup to the top of this casserole.
Don’t like sweet potatoes?
- Try using white potatoes, like in this Whole30 Frittata.
Sweet Potato Bacon Quiche
- 5 cups sweet potatoes peeled and shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Jones Dairy Farm Cherrywood Smoked Bacon chopped in small pieces
- 1/3 cup onion minced
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1/2 cup coconut milk full fat, canned
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In an 11x7 baking dish, add olive oil, and coat the bottom and sides of pan.
- Add the shredded sweet potato, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with foil, and bake covered for 30 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, add chopped bacon into a large frying pan, and fry over medium heat to desired doneness. Remove bacon from pan and divide into 2 bowls evenly.
- Drain excess bacon grease, and then add onion to the frying pan, and fry lightly for 3-4 minutes in the bacon grease.
- Add mushrooms and kale, and continue to saute for about 5 minutes until softened.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, almond milk, coconut milk, salt and peppers. Whisk until combined.
- Add the sauteed kale and mushrooms and half of the bacon into the egg mixture, and stir to combine.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, remove the foil and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Using hands, press the sweet potato down in the pan and around the edges to form a crust.
- Fill the sweet potato crust with the egg, bacon and vegetable mixture.
- Cover with foil, and return to the oven for 35 minutes. Uncover, and bake uncovered for 8 additional minutes.
- Serve garnished with herbs, salsa, or your favorite hot sauce.
Other Whole30 Breakfast Recipes:
- Whole30 Chia Breakfast Pudding, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Whole30 Frittata with a Potato Crust, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Tomato Zoodle Frittata, by The Endless Meal
This Whole30 Quiche post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I will receive part of the sale as a commission. This helps me continue to bring you lots of fresh and inspired recipes!