These gluten free Nanaimo bars are the perfect holiday treat! I’ve added a creamy layer of my favorite nutbutter – Sunbutter, but feel free to make these your own by using your favorite, or making the classic vanilla pudding filling.
*This is not a sponsored post. I work with SunButter on other collaborations, but truly love their product, so like to recommend it.
Gluten Free Nanaimo Bars
Nanaimo bars are easy to make gluten free — the only source of gluten to be aware of in a classic recipe is the graham crackers. I have used Nairn’s gluten free graham crackers in this recipe. They are difficult to find in stores, but I order them on Amazon (thank goodness for Prime!).
The base layer in this version is no bake — meaning you can assemble these in 20 minutes and have 1 holiday cookie chilling and ready to go!
To make the base layer, combine:
- Gluten Free graham cracker crumbs — I throw the crackers into my blender and process until there are no large chunks.
- Coconut (because it makes every cookie better!)
- Sliced almonds
- Honey – my favorite natural sweetener
- Melted coconut oil — adds great flavor as well as helping hold the base together!
- Egg – another binder!
- Cocoa powder – because chocolate + chocolate <3
The base is made by lightly cooking the egg with the coconut oil and honey, and then adding the cocoa powder. This is then poured over the mixture of graham cracker crumbs, coconut and almonds.
A Perfect Nut Butter Layer
This is my allergy friendly version of peanut butter Nanaimo Bars. SunButter is amazing with chocolate, so I used that in place of peanut butter.
A classic recipe uses lots of sugar in the middle layer — this one uses a little bit of honey to add sweetness, and then a touch of coconut flour to stiffen up the layer so these bars can be sliced.
If you love SunButter like I do, be sure to check out:
A Holiday Perfect Cookie
These are a popular Christmas cookie, but I certainly won’t relegate this recipe to December! They are easy to make, lower in sugar than typical cookies, and have lots of protein from the almond and SunButter.
Keep these in your freezer and pull them out for guests, or for any afternoon chocolate cravings!
Gluten Free Nanaimo Bars
- 3/4 cup SunButter No Sugar Added
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons SunButter No Sugar Added
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, coconut and almonds in a bowl.
- Add egg, butter, honey and cocoa powder to a small saucepan, and combine well before adding to the store. Once the mixture is combined, gently heat over medium heat until the mixture becomes glossy. It's important to stir well so the egg is incorporated before it begins to cook.
- Drizzle the chocolate mixture over the graham cracker crumb mixture, and stir together well.
- Press cookie mixture into a greased or lined 8x8 pan. Use a pastry roller to form an even layer.
- For the nut butter layer, combine all ingredients, and mix well. Spread evenly over the cookie layer.
- Melt chocolate slowly in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds to prevent burning. Add in the SunButter, and stir to combine. Pour over the top of the nut butter layer, and smooth out.
- Sprinkle the top with course sea salt, if desired.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Other Gluten Free Christmas Cookie Recipes:
- Chocolate Peppermint Macaroons, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcakes, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Ginger Sugar Cookies, by Sunkissed Kitchen
I’d love to connect with you on social media! Find me on Facebook or Instagram where I post daily healthy eating and lifestyle inspiration.
This Gluten Free Nanaimo Bar post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I will receive part of the sale as a commission. This helps me continue to bring you lots of fresh and inspired recipes!
Leave a Reply