A healthy baked chicken legs recipe, with a flavorful sesame marinade. This easy chicken legs recipe is economical and a family favorite!
*Today I’m partnering with Sharp Home USA ~ Sharp creates quality home appliances that make life easier! I’ve been using the Superheated Steam Countertop Oven for the past few months, and can’t wait to share how it makes cooking healthy meals easier. Thanks for supporting me and the brands I work with. I only share this space with the very best.
Start with a Flavorful Sesame Marinade
This marinade is one I’ve come back to again and again over the years. It’s simple, and if allowed some time to work it’s magic, it’s the most moist and flavorful chicken marinade I’ve ever used.
Asian flavors work so well in marinades. Any excuse to use fresh ginger and sesame oil are welcome in my kitchen!
This flavorful marinade includes:
- Coconut Aminos (a soy-free and gluten free alternative to soy sauce – but you can definitely sub soy sauce if it’s a part of your diet!)
- Lager Beer Again, use one that fits your diet. Gluten free, if necessary.
- Sesame Oil
Use this sesame marinade on any chicken pieces or even chicken breasts.
Marinate the chicken for 1 hour, or up to 24 hours. I vote for 24, whenever possible! If using chicken breasts, about 6 hours is probably the max time needed.
How Long to Bake Chicken Legs?
Chicken legs benefit from being baked at a high temperature for an extended period. To crisp up the skin and ensure they are baked through, bake them for 40 minutes.
I have a little secret in my kitchen that helps me get healthy meals like this on the dinner table quicker.
The Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven requires no preheating, and bakes about 30% faster than a conventional oven, meaning these sesame marinated chicken legs are ready in 30 minutes.
If you plan ahead and have them marinating in the morning (or night before), they are ready when you get home. Pop them in the Superheated Steam Countertop Oven Oven for 20 minutes, add some fresh broccoli or your favorite veggie onto the tray, and then back in for another 10 minutes.
Perfectly moist chicken on the inside, with a crispy outer skin.
How to Serve Baked Chicken Drumsticks
I love baked chicken legs served as a very simple meal with roasted broccoli, asparagus, or cauliflower, as shown here.
If you’d like to serve these teriyaki marinated drumsticks with some additional side dishes, try:
- Parmesan Oven Baked Smashed Potatoes
- Mexican Caesar Salad
- Cauliflower Mexican Rice
- The Perfect Baked Sweet Potatoes
Sesame Baked Chicken Legs
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos *sub 3 tablespoons of soy sauce or GF tamari
- 1/4 cup lager beer (use GF if necessary)
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons ginger fresh, grated finely
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons sriracha hot sauce optional
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 pound broccoli
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or sub sesame oil
- Add chicken legs to a large ziplock bag, or to a marinating container.
- Add all of the marinade ingredients to the bag or container, and shake to combine well.
- Marinade in the refrigerator for 2 hours, up to 24 hours. Part way through marinading, flip the bag or container upside down to evenly marinade the chicken.
- Bake in the Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven on 425º F for 30 minutes, flipping the chicken legs halfway through.
- If baking in a conventional oven, preheat the oven to 425º F. Bake for 40 minutes, flipping the chicken legs halfway through.
- If adding broccoli, toss chopped broccoli with coconut aminos and oil of choice. Add broccoli to the roasting pan for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
Other Baked Chicken Legs Recipes:
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks, by Cooking LSL
- Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Drumsticks, by Recipe Tin Eats
- Paprika Chicken Legs, by Cooktoria
This Baked Chicken Legs post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I will receive part of the sale as a commission. This helps me continue to bring you lots of fresh and inspired recipes!