These healthy and gluten free Banana Breakfast Cookies are the perfect on-the-go option. These are a lifesaver on busy weekday mornings. Both kids and adults love these healthy vegan breakfast cookies.
The Best Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
Nothing but ingredients I would throw into my oatmeal bowl, so you can feel good about feeding these to your kids (or husband- or self!) for breakfast.
Now, these aren’t your typical cookie. They aren’t filled with butter and refined sugar, so they don’t taste like they are filled with butter and refined sugar. If you make them and expect a dessert-super-sweet cookie, you’ll be disappointed. If you’re looking for a fun, nutritious, tasty option that you can grab with your coffee and run out the door with in the morning, I think you’ll be very pleased.
The banana and coconut oil do provide a bit of sweetness, and the mix-ins do the rest of the work. These are basically the healthiest granola bar you could find. Whole oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit- and of course, a bit of dark chocolate for good measure!
How to Shape Vegan Breakfast Cookies
I use measuring spoons to scoop out my cookie dough. It makes uniform cookies, and helps manage the fairly sticky dough that can be difficult to form into a ball. Simply dip a round tablespoon in water, scoop some dough, press against the side of the bowl to pack, and then slide out onto the parchment.
A tip for portion control? To me, two cookies is two cookies. And two cookies is always better than one. So, I make most of my cookies (including these really healthy ones) in my half tablespoon. The small cookies are perfect when I need just a small snack.
I’m packing up a batch of these for snacks and breakfasts in Thailand next week. We have a kitchen where we stay, so I always bring some simple meals so we don’t have to eat out the whole time. Also still brainstorming a few other easy-to-pack desserts and meals- hopefully I will have time to share before we take off Saturday!
Do you Love Sugar Free Treat Recipes?
I adore making fruit sweetened treats and desserts. If you’re interested in more healthy fruit sweetened recipes, please check out my eBook with 35+ recipes (most not available on the blog!) for sugar free desserts.
Tips for Banana Breakfast Cookies
- Make these Gluten Free: If you need these to be gluten free, be sure to use certified gluten free oatmeal.
- Make these Vegan: These cookies rely on banana as a binder, so are naturally vegan! No substitutions necessary (if you use vegan chocolate).
- Variations: Use whatever mix-ins you love! I love these with cranberries, but raisins work as well. If you’d like to keep these completely sugar free, omit the dark chocolate. I use Enjoy Life dark chocolate morsels or 85% dark chocolate to keep them as low in sugar as possible.
Banana Breakfast Cookies
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal
- 1/2 cup coconut unsweetened
- 2 bananas large, ripe* (13 ounces with peels)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil virgin, unrefined
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or sub raisins
- 3 tablespoons 85% dark chocolate chopped, or dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 f.
- Add the cashews to a food processor bowl, and process until the cashews form a flour.
- Add 3/4 cup oatmeal, and process until the oatmeal is a rough flour. Then add the other half of the oatmeal and pulse a couple of times.
- In a bowl, add the bananas, coconut oil, and sea salt. Mash with a fork, but leave bananas a little chunky.
- Add the cashew and oatmeal mixture, and all the mix ins, and mix to combine.
- Use a tablespoon dipped into water to scoop the dough. It should be sticky and difficult to form balls in your hands. Then, flatten the cookies down. They will not spread on their own. You can also just leave them in a round ball - they stay very chewy that way.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- These are great kept in the freezer. Just pull out a few minutes before you're ready to enjoy.
Other Healthy Breakfast Cookie Recipes:
- Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies, by Leelalicious
- Healthy Make Ahead Breakfast Cookies, by She Likes Food
- AB & J Breakfast Thumbprint Cookies, by Sunkissed Kitchen via The Endless Meal
- Dark Chocolate Cherry Breakfast Cookies, by Sunkissed Kitchen
This Banana Breakfast Cookies post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.