This Taco Soup Recipe is one you’ll want to keep on hand for this time of the year – when you’re dreaming of patio margarita-drinking weather, but the bite in the air is keeping you inside. Packed with lots of protein from the chicken and black beans, this soup has tons of fiesta flavor from the toppings.
My Favorite Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
I’m a soup-all-year kind of girl. It’s such a great meal — easy to pack with tons of veggies, but comforting and warming. If you pair some protein and veggies with a flavorful broth, you can’t go wrong.
But when you top said bowl of soup with ALL the toppings (kind of nacho-style in healthy bowl form), you’ve really got my attention.
Soup + Mexican toppings = My version of heaven.
If you’re planning on making hum drum tacos this weekend, I urge you to reconsider. Soup is just more fun. Soup makes better leftovers. Soup is a great meal because it’s packed with water, meaning you’re less likely to overeat, even while eating your fill.
I’ve made this soup with some ground chicken, but feel free to sub ground beef or turkey — any meat would work. If you’d like to keep this vegan, you can do that as well by omitting the meat altogether. If I were to do that (and boy, does that sound like a good variation), I would add a can of kidney beans for a little variety. An extra can of black beans would do the trick as well!
Load it up!
This taco soup recipe isn’t complete without the toppings. I love crunchy tortilla chips broken up on top, but don’t stop there!
I also added fresh chopped cilantro, avocado slices, some homemade salsa ( <– just do it!), shredded cheese, and some lime wedges. This is one of those make-it-YOUR-perfect-bowl kind of soups.
I love to serve soups like this with a little “bar” of toppings so everyone can customize it to their liking. I’ve done soups like this at large dinner parties, served several types of soups, and then laid out a soup topping bar — every loves getting to load up their bowl.
Tips for Chicken Taco Soup
- Make is Gluten Free: I use Rapunzel Vegan vegetable bouillon for this recipe. It’s naturally gluten free. You won’t need to worry about any of the other ingredients in this delicious taco soup recipe!
- Make it Vegetarian/Vegan: This soup is easily made meatless by omitting the chicken and adding an extra can of beans. I would add a can of kidney or chickpeas to it in place of the chicken to add some variety!
- Make it Paleo/Whole30: This absolutely can be made Whole30! In place of the black beans and corn, I would sub some diced and roasted sweet potato or butternut squash. Those hearty vegetables add tons of flavor. You can just chop and boil in your soup, but I like the flavor better when they’ve been roasted and then added at the end. Skip the tortilla chips and cheese in the toppings, but make sure to load up on avocado slices!
Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 pounds ground chicken sub ground turkey or beef
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon I like Rapunzel brand
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 ears corn cut from cob
- 1 bell pepper green, diced
- 1 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- cheddar cheese shredded
- tortilla chips
- lime wedges
- hot sauce
- In a soup pot, add olive oil and onions, and saute over medium high heat for about 5 minutes until onions have softened.
- Move onions to the side, and add the ground chicken. Saute until the chicken begins to brown, about 5 more minutes.
- Add all the spices and sea salt, and stir to mix into the chicken and onion mixture.
- Add the water, vegetable bouillon, tomatoes and tomato pasta. Stir to bring together, and simmer on medium for about 10 minutes.
- Add the corn, peppers, and black beans, and continue to simmer another 10 minutes.
- Serve with a variety of toppings.
Other Taco Soup Recipes:
- The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup, by The Endless Meal
- Roasted Butternut Turkey Chili (Whole30), by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Chicken Taco Chili, by Sunkissed Kitchen