These Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Muffins are made with my new favorite sugar substitute- pureed dates. These healthy chocolate muffins can be made in a blender so are actually pretty quick to throw together as well.
Healthy Double Chocolate Chip Muffins – No Added Sugar!
I am apparently not the only one out there that thinks dates are amazing in desserts. My Gluten Free Date Bars (sugar free!)
are now the most popular recipe on my site.
When I realized that a few months ago, I decided to try making some other baked goods with date puree. I began with an amazing Sticky Date Pudding with Caramel Topping made with no sugar at all- just the goodness of dates (and boy is it good!). I also used dates to top these amazing Oatmeal Date Caramel Bars, and they sure have been popular as well.
I started making these Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Muffins a few months ago, but haven’t posted them in fear I was making my blog too date-centered.
But what’s not to love? Rather than using refined sugar, or even honey (which has some trace minerals and vitamins), dates are actually loaded with health benefits. They are high in fiber, potassium, copper, manganese, magnesium, and B6.
This combination of nutrients helps with promotes digestive health, but also have been found to boost heart health, reduce blood pressure, and are a good addition to any anti inflammatory diet.
And it’s always a good thing when you can add extra nutrients into fun foods like these double chocolate muffins. Because treats keep most of us sane!
Of course, dates are still mostly sugar, so eating them in moderation is key to maintaining balance. These muffins are a healthy option with clean ingredients, but still have as many calories as a typical muffin would.
Tips for making Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- I’ve used both store bought and home-ground (in a blender) oat flour. Either will work fine in this recipe, although I prefer to grind it myself for these– adds a bit more texture!
- I mostly use Medjool dates. I started using weights for dates in my recipes after finding out 1 cup of medjool dates is the same in weight as 2 1/2 cups of smaller dates. Dates blend great in my Vitamix, but I have also made this recipe in a standard blender with good results.
- Make is Gluten Free: If you need this recipe to be 100% gluten free, be sure to use certified gluten free oat flour. Almond flours are already gluten free.
- For the Family: Xander loves these, so I made his without walnuts since he still doesn’t have a full mouth of teeth.
Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 5 1/2 ounces dates pitted
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour boiling water over dates and soak for 1-2 minutes, then drain well. Soak dates even if using fresh Medjool dates.
- Process whole oats in the blender until a fine flour is formed. I do not recommend subbing a store bought oat flour. Set aside.
- Add dates and all wet ingredients to a blender, and blend until a very smooth mixture is formed.
- If you want to make these all in the blender, add the sea salt, baking powder and baking soda to the blender with the date mixture first. Blend until mixed well. Then, add the oat flour, almond flour, and cocoa powder, and pulse to combine. Stir chocolate chips and walnuts in with a spatula.
- Otherwise, add all dry ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine, then add the wet ingredients into the bowl and stir until no dry ingredients are left. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Either line a muffin tin with cupcake papers, or spray with coconut oil.
- Divide the batter into 6 large or 8 smaller muffins, and top with extra chocolate chips and walnuts if desired.
- If making large muffins, feel free to pile the batter in over the top of the muffin pan. The batter is thick and sticky and doesn't rise a lot.
- Bake 20-24 minutes, until centers are fully baked.
Other Date-Sweetened Recipes:
- Date-Sweetened Banana Bread, by Sweet Simple Vegan
- Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Bars, by Emilie Eats
- Gluten Free Date Bars, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Sticky Date Pudding with Caramel Topping, by Sunkissed Kitchen
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.