This Grilled Balsamic Chicken with Strawberry Cucumber Salad is such an easy, refreshing, and healthy summer meal. Perfect for hot days when you can’t imagine cooking indoors! Follow along the next month for lots of healthy grilling recipes.
Grilled Balsamic Chicken Marinade
I had so much fun brainstorming ideas for my last series– freezer friendly meals— I thought it only appropriate to dive into a new series for my favorite style of cooking– outdoor grilling!
I started off this series with what has turned out to be my most popular recipe this year, a beautiful Grilled Peach and Vegetable Pesto Pasta. If you’re looking for some healthy meatless meals for the summer, check that one out!
I am in love with summer, every part of it. I love the warm weather, of course, but it goes further than that. The longer days just seem to add hours, and everything feels less rushed and more lighthearted.
Maybe it’s because I really prefer iced coffee to hot (of course this has to be part of it, because coffee is VERY important).
Or maybe it’s because I love hiking and being on the river and picnicking at the park.
Having lots of family coming through town, getting together for parties or BBQs, is certainly a bit part of my adoration.
And another thing that is absolutely a part of it? Light summery salads and grilled meats, like in this dish. Hand me a burger and a salad like this, and I’ll choose the salad any day.
I highly recommend NOT skipping the basil here! I’ve planted two basil plants this summer, just so I always have it on hand for Pistachio Herb Pesto and to add flavor and dimension to otherwise incredibly simple salads.
What are your favorite parts of summer?
Tips for Grilled Balsamic Chicken with Strawberry Cucumber Salad
- I use my OXO Spiralizer for fun, noodle-like veggie shreds. You can also use a veggie peeler (similar to how I did the zucchini in this Artichoke Millet Power Salad).
- Chicken breasts can really dry out on the grill. I simply don’t grill them unless I’ve marinated them. This marinade is delicious after only 2 hours, but even better if left overnight! If you’re looking for an indoor version of this recipe, look at how I cook Balsamic Chicken here.
- Make it Paleo/Whole30: This recipe will certainly have you excited for your next Whole30 meal! The only modification that needs to be made is to skip the tablespoon of honey in the marinade. I’ve tried this, and it’s fine – the honey makes the coating of the chicken a bit stickier (which is delicious!), but flavor wise, it’s not necessary!
- Switch it Up: I am not a pork person, but I imagine pork chops would be equally delicious in this marinade. You can also swap your summer fruit– peaches, blueberries, or raspberries would all be amazing!
Grilled Balsamic Chicken with Strawberry Cucumber Salad (Summer Grilling Series)
- 4 chicken breast
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
Strawberry Cucumber Salad
- 2 large English cucumbers
- 4 cups arugula (or spinach)
- 2 cups strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Add chicken and all marinade ingredients to a plastic bag or sealed container, and allow to sit in the refrigerator for 2 hours up to overnight.
- Prepare salad by spiralizing cucumbers, and combining the cucumber noodles with the arugula and sliced strawberries in a bowl.
- Drizzle the salad with olive oil, balsamic and lemon juice, and toss to coat the salad.
- Grill the chicken until cooked throughout.
- Serve the salad garnished with basil and seeds.
Other Similar Recipes:
- Rainbow Power Salad with Roasted Chickpeas, by Pinch of Yum
- Blueberry Zucchini Salad, by Simply Fresh Dinners
- Refreshingly Light Raw Pasta Primavera, by Vitamin Sunshine
- Spiralized Cucumber Chicken Waldorf Salad, by Vitamin Sunshine
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.