Serve healthier gluten free Gingerbread Cupcakes to your loved ones this holiday season! These gluten free cupcakes are made with almond flour and oat flour, and sweetened with honey and some molasses.
*Today I’m partnering with Sharp Home USA ~ Sharp creates quality home appliances that make life easier! I’ve been using the Superheated Steam Countertop Oven for the past few months, and can’t wait to share how it makes cooking healthy meals easier. Thanks for supporting me and the brands I work with. I only share this space with the very best.
Gluten Free Holiday Baking
I am a firm believer that the holidays can be filled with joy and delicious food, but without all the processed ingredients and sugar typically found in baked goods.
Coming home to a house that smells of gingerbread and peppermint is part of what makes the holidays magical, and I certainly don’t want to miss out on that, just because I choose to keep my diet clean.
These healthy gingerbread cupcakes are made with whole grain oat and almond flours, and sweetened with honey and blackstrap molasses. While they are “healthified,” I promise, no one will be the wiser! If you’d like these naturally sweetened with dates, hop on over to my Gingerbread Loaf recipe — it bakes well into cupcake form and has no honey (but you can’t take the molasses out of gingerbread!).
I also make these with just a tad of coconut oil, and then add some pumpkin puree to keep them moist and soft. The small amount of strong coffee deepens the flavor, but don’t worry, they don’t taste like coffee at all!
The BEST Cream Cheese Frosting
Frosting is something that is typically based almost entirely on sugar, but these cupcakes have a lightly honey sweetened cream cheese frosting. Once you try it, you won’t go back to buttercream!
I kept it super simple for these holiday cupcakes — just softened cream cheese and honey. Don’t buy whipped cream cheese – if softens too much while whipping in the honey. Often I buy the Greek yogurt cream cheese because it’s lighter and has a nice yogurt tang (plus is easier to digest for those of us who are sensitive to dairy!).
I have frosted my toddler’s birthday cakes with cream-cheese based frostings the last two years, and if a room full of toddlers give a “healthy” treat a thumbs up, you know you have a winner!
I used sugared cranberries and candied ginger to decorate these — nature’s candy!
Small Batch Baking
I have been using my Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven every day the past month. It has been so helpful getting me through the holiday season. Often, it really is inefficient to heat up a full oven, especially with desserts!
It’s also great to double-duty, when you have a crowd for a holiday dinner and the large oven is already busy!
Gluten Free GIngerbread Cupcakes
- 6 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons strong coffee
- 1 1/2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated, if possible
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 6 tablespoons oat flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8-ounce cream cheese
- 1/4 cup honey light colored
- Add ingredients through salt to a mixing bowl, and stir well to combine.
- In the same boil, add almond flour, oat flour, and arrowroot, and fold in until just mixed.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake papers. Divide the batter between 6 cupcakes.
- In the Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven, set to Bake/Reheat at 350 degrees for 16 minutes.
- In a conventional oven, preheat to 350 degrees, and then bake for 20-23 minutes.
- To make frosting, soften cream cheese to room temperature, and then use a hand mixer to beat in the honey. Do not beat too long or the cream cheese will over soften. If the frosting gets too soft, refrigerate it for a few hours before icing the cupcakes.
- Ice the cupcakes, and decorate as desired.
Other Healthy Christmas Dessert Recipes:
- Dark Chocolate Peppermint Macaroons, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Cherry Hazelnut Biscotti, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Paleo Fudge, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Peppermint Coconut Cookie Truffles, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Cranberry Breakfast Cookies, by Sunkissed Kitchen
I’d love to connect with you on social media! Find me on Facebook or Instagram where I post daily healthy eating and lifestyle inspiration.
This gluten free Gingerbread Cupcakes recipe post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I will receive part of the sale as a commission. This helps me continue to bring you lots of fresh and inspired recipes!