These fun layered Green Pumpkin Pie Smoothies make a great fall breakfast or treat! There isn’t a better way to get 2 servings of veggies, a serving of fruit, and protein in all at once in the morning. These healthy green smoothies are perfect year round.
A Healthy Green Smoothie Recipe
Green Pumpkin Pie Smoothies are my favorite smoothie, no question. I love all the spices, they aren’t too sweet, and I have green and orange vegetables checked off the list first thing in the morning.
No need to wait for the fall to make this smoothie. I make pumpkin recipes all year. Why lose out on this healthy and low calorie veggie just because it’s “seasonal?”
Green smoothies are my favorite breakfast. I don’t like sitting down and spending time having breakfast while I am trying to start my day, but if I want to have veggies, I am limited in portable options.
A smoothie is easy to digest, for those of us who aren’t really breakfast eaters, and packed full of nutrients to start the day on a good note.
I make these smoothies creamy with frozen banana, coconut milk, and then add a bit of whey protein to boost it’s staying power.
The spices are what really take is over the top — of course, use pumpkin pie spice if you have it on hand. I just throw in some cinnamon, ginger, and then a little freshly grated nutmeg — what a smell to wake up to!
Toss it all in the blender — and breakfast is served!
Topping your Green Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
For visual impact, I topped these with whipped cream, but I certainly don’t typically do that! I also don’t layer my green smoothies — that’s for the “Pinterest effect.”
I throw everything into the blender, and put it in my recycled Starbucks cup, and off I go.
If you’d like to make these for dessert or an extra special snack (or even a fun holiday breakfast for kids!), go nuts! Add whipped topping, chopped pecans or pumpkin seeds, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Or — try these Pumpkin Spice Latte Smoothie Bowls!
Make these Vegan: Substitute coconut yogurt, and use a vegan protein powder (or omit altogether).
Make these Paleo: Substitute coconut yogurt, and omit the protein powder.
Green Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Add yogurt, coconut milk, and almond milk or water to a blender. Then add spinach, ice, and frozen banana. I layer the ingredients liquids first, then spinach, then frozen pieces on top of the spinach to weigh it down, and this is the way it blends the easiest.
- Add spices and optional protein powder, and blend until the mixture is very smooth and the spinach is entirely broken up in the mixture.
- Serve with whipped cream or coconut whipped cream for a special treat.
Other Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Recipes:
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie, by 86Lemons
- 100 Calorie Pumpkin Pie Smoothie, by Oh Bite It
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie, by Taste, Love & Nourish
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Breakfast Smoothie, by Cooking Classy
This post is originally from October of 2014. This recipe is popular, so it was retested and photographed to show how we are still enjoying this smoothie.