A delicious and healthy Sweet Potato Casserole to serve for the holidays! Creamy pureed sweet potatoes are baked with a layer of pecan crumble. This recipe is paleo and refined sugar free!
*Today I’m partnering with Sharp Home USA ~ Sharp creates quality home appliances that make life easier!
- 1 The Best Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole to Serve on Thanksgiving!
- 2 What You Need
- 3 Perfectly Baked in my Sharp European Convection Oven
- 4 How to Make a Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- 5 Other Healthy Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes
- 6 Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
The Best Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole to Serve on Thanksgiving!
We did not grow up with the typical marshmallow topped sweet potato casserole in my house. It never made sense to me. Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet all on their own.
This recipe embraces the sweet, creamy texture of sweet potatoes, and amps them up with some spices and a light pecan crumble topping.
This is perfect to serve with Thanksgiving dinner, but also perfect for a cozy meal all winter long!
You’ll love this Sweet Potato Casserole because:
- The creamy sweet potatoes are the star. The mash is lightly spiced but no sweetener is added to the potatoes.
- A delicious PECAN CRUMBLE topping comes together in minutes in a food processor, and is lightly sweetened with maple syrup to add even more warming fall flavors.
- This healthy sweet potato casserole is paleo, and can be made vegan by swapping a vegan butter option.
What You Need
For the Sweet Potato Puree:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Pastured Butter (grass fed butter is higher in omega 3s and CLAs!)
- Unsweetened / unflavored Almond Milk (or milk of choice)
- Sea Salt
- Cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg
For the Pecan Crumble Topping:
- Pumpkin seeds
- Almond Flour
- Maple Syrup
- Pinch of Salt
Perfectly Baked in my Sharp European Convection Oven
This is one of my many holiday recipes that bakes to perfection in my Sharp European Convection Oven.
Adding Sharp’s luxury appliances to my kitchen has made all the difference in my holiday planning. The convection oven is roomy inside, and can handle a large roasting pan, with plenty of room to heat side dishes, like this healthy sweet potato casserole.
The oven is smart, too. It has a built-in meat probe, so I know exactly when it’s time to pull out my baked turkey.
The timers and variety of settings ensure everything is cooked perfectly and ready to serve at meal time!
Hop on over to Sharp’s website to see if their sleek appliances are the right fit for your dream kitchen!
How to Make a Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
Step 1: First, steam the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes in a covered pan with a lid. I use a stainless steel steamer to keep the potatoes from getting watery. Steaming is a better cooking method than boiling to keep the nutrients in the potatoes rather than seeping out into the water.
Step 2: While the sweet potatoes are steaming, make the pecan topping by adding all the ingredients into a food processor bowl, and pulsing to form a chunky crumble topping. Set aside and rinse out the food processor bowl.
Step 3: Add the steamed sweet potatoes to a food processor bowl along with the rest of the puree ingredients, and process to form a smooth and creamy mixture.
Step 4: Use a small 8×8 or 6×9 baking dish, and add the sweet potato puree into an even layer.
Step 5: Add the pecan crumble on top of the sweet potatoes, and spread out in an even layer.
Step 6: Bake the casserole in the Sharp European Convection Oven for 15 minutes, until the topping is lightly browned.
Other Healthy Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes
Thanksgiving is a great celebration of fall and winter produce! I love making healthier versions of classic dishes.
You might also love:
- Baked Cauliflower Cheese
- Holiday Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
- Cheesy Garlic Green Beans
- Sausage Cornbread Stuffing Balls
Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and chopped in 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/4 cup pastured butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- nutmeg freshly grated, to taste
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons pastured butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Steam the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes over medium heat for 30-40 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork.
- Preheat the Sharp European Convection Oven to 350º F.
- Add the steamed sweet potatoes and the rest of the puree ingredients into a food processor, and process until smooth and creamy.
- Add the sweet potato puree into an 8×8 or 6×9 baking dish in an even layer.
- Top the sweet potatoes with the pecan crumble, and bake the casserole for 15 minutes, until the topping is lightly browned.
- Add all ingredients into a food processor bowl, and pulse a few times to form a chunky crumble topping.