The ultimate healthy comfort food, this Crockpot Moroccan Pumpkin Chicken goes together in 15 minutes, and slowly cooks, leaving the chicken tender and coated in a delicious spicy sauce. This easy crockpot chicken recipe is a great low carb and Whole30 option.
A Crockpot Chicken Recipe You’ll LOVE!
This is a dish I’ve made for years. Crockpot recipes are just so cozy, and in the fall, I love how the warming smells fill the house reminding me that a delicious and comforting dinner will be ready soon.
The chicken in this dish slowly cooks to be perfect tender, the kind of chicken that just falls apart when pressed with a fork.
Because of my undying love of pumpkin, I decided to try a curry-like pumpkin sauce – cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, and a touch of cayenne. Simmered together, this dish is magic!
Ingredients in Crockpot Moroccan Pumpkin Chicken
- Chicken breasts (or thighs!), cut into pieces
- Pumpkin puree (fresh is best, but canned works!)
- Vegetable Broth
- Spices – Cinnamon, Cumin, Ginger, Turmeric and Cayenne
How to Make Crockpot Pumpkin Chicken
- First, saute the onion in a skillet until it’s translucent.
- Add the chicken, and brown over high heat. It’s only important to get a little color on the chicken, it doesn’t need to cook all the way through.
- Add the salt and spices, and stir to coat chicken and onions.
- Add the browned chicken and onions into the crockpot, along with the pumpkin puree and vegetable broth.
Note: I have made this recipe with both fresh pumpkin and pumpkin puree. It is best with fresh pumpkin.
A Low Carb Chicken Dinner Recipe
I served it with cauliflower rice, or “couscous” to keep the Moroccan theme.
To turn cauliflower rice into a “couscous” type dish, I just add some fresh lemon juice and chopped parsley.
We have also served this over mashed cauliflower, which is a really comforting cold weather meal.
Steamed broccoli is a great low carb addition.
Top the dish with chopped cilantro and toasted almonds for a boost of extra flavor and texture!
Tips for Slow Cooker Moroccan Pumpkin Chicken
- Make it Ahead: I love starting crockpot meals on Sunday nights! If you want to make Slow Cooker Moroccan Pumpkin Chicken to come home to on Monday evening, just sauté the chicken (I make sure to cook the chicken through if I am not planning on slow cooking until the next day- just don’t overcook it), the onion and the spices, and add to your slow cooker with the pumpkin and broth. Put the crockpot container in the fridge, and on your lunch break on Monday, pop it on, and then come home to your house smelling heavenly! You can just cook a pot of rice, or you can prep the cauliflower rice the night before, and just sauté and add seasonings when ready to eat.
- For the Family: Xander loves this chicken just the way it is! It’s spicy, but he seems to prefer foods with lots of flavor and spice, so I just gave it to him as is. If you or your family don’t like spicy foods, cut the cayenne in half, or sub paprika.
Crockpot Moroccan Pumpkin Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup pumpkin puree fresh is best, canned works
- 1 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- cilantro chopped, to garnish
- almonds toasted, to garnish, optional
- In a frying pan, add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Over high heat, add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onion, and saute until translucent.
- Add the chunks of chicken, and allow to brown, but not cook all the way through.
- One the chicken has started to brown, add salt and spices, and stir to evenly coat chicken and onions.
- Add the chicken and onions to a crockpot, and then add pumpkin puree and vegetable broth. Stir to help spread the pumpkin puree throughout the chicken mixture.
- Slow cook on low for 4 hours. This will also cook on high for 2 hours, but the texture isn't as good.
Other Amazing (and Easy!) Crockpot Chicken Recipes:
- Crockpot Moroccan Chicken, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Crockpot Chicken Gumbo, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Crockpot Enchilada Chicken, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Crock Pot Chicken Sausage Spaghetti Sauce, by Sunkissed Kitchen