This year, I did not take a lot of photos in Phuket! And, we did not go many places I can tell you about from a tourist perspective. We go to Phuket often, so this trip was all about relaxation (which includes a fair amount of physical activity, for us!), sun, and time together.
We had a lot of lazy mornings with long breakfasts with lots of coffee. After breakfast, we headed out for a run or walk around a lake that’s nearby where we stay, then spent an hour or two at the gym. Alex loves to spend an hour or more in the sauna and cold plunge — I usually take off after my workout and go for a walk down the beach, then go back to our villa to make lunch.
Our afternoons were spent mostly by the pool, with coconut and kindle in hand. I actually really do not like coconut water out of a can/bottle, as has become uber popular in the states. But give me a sweet green Thai coconut, and I am in heaven! Great way to rehydrate after a sweaty workout in the tropics.
Mai Khao Beach
Nai Yang Beach
Our favorite beach spot in Phuket is Nai Yang beach. It’s in a bit of a cove, so it’s safer to swim in the ocean than where we stay. We spend several nights there every year walking or running along the beach, swimming as the fishing boats come in, and then having a cold Singha while watching the sunset.
This year, Alex’s niece and her boyfriend were able to join us from Australia. Super fun to have family there to enjoy it with us!
On our last day, Katie ordered a Ginger Mint Fizz with lunch. It was so beautiful, cool, and refreshing, I knew it was something I’d have to recreate at home.
The first night we were back, we had dinner out on the patio, with my first recreation of the Ginger Mint Fizz. This one included tequila! An awesome addition.
- For a light, tropical feeling cocktail, add a shot of tequila– or I am sure vodka or rum would also be good! Let me know if you try it.
- Turn it in to breakfast by adding 1/4 cup plain or greek yogurt. Perfect for hot summer mornings! Just close your eyes and imagine you can hear the ocean.
Phuket Ginger Mint Fizz
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks frozen
- 3 ice cubes
- 1 cup soda water
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons greshly grated ginger
- 1 lime juice squeezed
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a blender, and blend well, until all the pineapple and ice and blended and frothy.