A delicious low carb Sausage Breakfast Casserole loaded with all natural sausage, greens, caramelized onions, and sun dried tomatoes. This make ahead breakfast casserole is perfect for holidays or meal prep!
This post is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm, a company who who provides healthier breakfast meat options, with short, clean ingredient lists. Thanks for supporting the brands that keep Sunkissed Kitchen up and running!
- 1 Make Ahead Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 2 A Delicious Low Carb Breakfast Option
- 3 Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 4 Other Low Carb Breakfasts:
Make Ahead Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Growing up, my family would always put together a breakfast casserole on Christmas Eve, so on Christmas morning, we could just pop it in the oven and allow it to bake while sitting around the tree enjoying our morning together.
It’s a tradition I like to keep, although the casserole I make every year isn’t always the same.
Last year, I made this delicious Sweet Potato Quiche with Bacon. This year, it’s this healthy, Sausage Breakfast Casserole all the way!
Ingredients in Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Jones Dairy Farm Original No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll
- Kale (I love lacinato kale, also called dinosaur or Tuscan kale)
- Caramelized onions (this step takes a bit of time – but is oh-so-worth it!)
- Almond milk & coconut milk – While this casserole isn’t dairy free if you add cheese, I prefer using these milks in place of half and half to keep the eggs moist. There is no coconut flavor as a result of using these.
- Sun dried tomatoes (optional) leave a great pop of flavor on the top of this casserole.
- Aged white cheddar cheese – you can make this casserole dairy free if you choose to omit this! The casserole has plenty of flavor without it.
Make this Casserole Ahead:
- Start by chopping the kale and adding it to a baking dish. Just adding it raw is perfectly fine here!
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat, and caramelize the onions in some avocado oil. This process takes about 15 minutes. The key to soft, super sweet onions is to just sit back and wait for the magic to happen! Stir every couple of minutes to ensure even browning. Wait until they are soft and just starting to brown, then add the onions to the baking dish along with the kale.
- Add your Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Breakfast Sausage Roll to the same skillet, and use a spatula to break is up as it is browning. I allow it to brown but don’t worry about fully cooking it since it will bake along with the casserole. Once it’s browned, add it on top of the caramelized onions into the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, almond and coconut milks (or half and half, if that’s what you prefer), and salt and pepper. Add half of the cheese, if using. Whisk the mixture together, then pour over the sausage, kale and onions in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle sun dried tomatoes over the top, and then cover with the other half of the cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil, and bake for 30 minutes covered. Remove the foil, and continue baking uncovered for another 20-25 minutes, until the center is set.
A Delicious Low Carb Breakfast Option
More and more of us are adding lower carb options to our meal plans. This casserole is low carb with plenty of protein!
The star ingredient is Jones Dairy Farm Original No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll. You know I am a fan of this company, because I know I am buying quality breakfast meals when I see their label.
Jones Dairy Farm has been family owned and operated since 1889 and their family is committed to providing delicious breakfast meats with labels you can trust.
Jones Dairy Farm provides sausage, bacon and ham, all with minimal ingredients (usually just salt and spices!), with no added preservatives, and many of the products, like the Original Roll Pork Sausage, have no sugar added. They are also all certified gluten free!
Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 1 bunch lacinato kale chopped
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 onion sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon sea salt divided
- black pepper to taste
- 1 10-ounce Jones Dairy Farm Original No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond milk unsweetened, original (not vanilla)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk from a can, full fat
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes sliced into thin strips
- Add kale to an 8×8 baking dish and set aside.
- Next, heat a skillet over medium low heat, add the avocado oil and the thinly sliced onions. Caramelize the onions, keeping the heat low. This will take 15-20 minutes, so prepare the other ingredients while waiting for the onions to start to take on a light brown color. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and black pepper to taste. The onions need stirred every couple of minutes for even browning and to prevent burning. Add the onions to the baking dish on top of the kale.
- While the onions are browning, preheat the oven to 350º F. Baking this casserole at a low temperature keeps it extra moist.
- In the same skillet, add the Jones Dairy Farm Original No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll, and increase the heat to medium high. Use a spatula to break up the sausage as it browns. Add the browned sausage to the baking dish along with the kale and onions, and use a spatula or fork to spread the ingredients across the top of the dish to evenly distribute them.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, almond and coconut milks (or dairy substitute), the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and pepper to taste. Add in half of the cheese, if using, and whisk the mixture together.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and sausage in the baking dish. Top with sun dried tomatoes and the additional cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil, and bake the casserole for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, and continue to bake for another 20-25 minutes, until the center is set.
- Serve hot. Allow leftovers to cool, and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.