A strawberry chia jam recipe that’s easy to make, and a great way to preserve sweet summer strawberries! Learn how to make chia jam with dates as the only sweetener.
Fall in Love with Making Chia Seed Jam
Chia seed jam couldn’t be simpler to make! It’s the only way I make jam, because it’s healthy and fool proof!
I’ve been making this raspberry chia jam for a while now. It has a wonderful sweet-tart flavor, and tons of fiber from the pureed dates and chia seeds.
All you’ll need for this Strawberry Chia Jam Recipe:
- Strawberries (ripe & sweet!)
- Lemon Juice (and a touch of water)
- Date Paste (or save time by using date syrup instead)
- White Chia Seeds (use black if you have on hand – but the white ones blend into the light red of the strawberries nicely).
Why use date paste?
I love using date paste as a sweetener. Dates are a low glycemic index sweetener, meaning while still sugar, dates have less of an impact on blood sugar levels, meaning less cravings and more stable energy. Date syrup also is a low GI sweetener if you need something that’s quicker. Dates are also high in fiber.
Why use white chia seeds?
The white chia seeds in this recipe are purely for aesthetic reasons. If you have black chia seeds on hand, use them! I use black chia seeds when I make raspberry jam (because they blend into the dark color), but white chia seeds when I make jam with lighter colored fruit, like strawberries and peaches.
How to Make Strawberry Chia Jam
Once you’ve collected those ingredients, it’s as easy as:
- Cut the tops off strawberries, and roughly chop them.
- Add strawberries to a saucepan with a little water and some lemon juice, and stir over medium heat until the strawberries become saucy.
- Add half of strawberries plus the date paste (or date syrup) to a food processor or blender, and process until the date paste is incorporated.
- Add the rest of the strawberries to the food processor or blender, and pulse 2-3 times until strawberries are broken up but still have good texture.
- Pour the strawberry syrup back into the pan (no heat), and add the chia seeds. Stir them in well to avoid clumping.
- Pour into jars or a sealable container and allow to thicken.
Ways to Use Strawberry Chia Seed Jam
Spoon it on yogurt or oatmeal, spread it on toast, or add a dollop on top of ice cream. This also makes a delicious spread on pancakes or waffles.
Get creative and also use this jam for:
- A healthy strawberry vinaigrette – just add a few tablespoons along with some olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice. Shake, or even process in a blender to make it smoother.
- Healthy Thumbprint Cookies – use this chia seed jam instead of the raspberry chia jam in this breakfast cookie recipe.
- Shake up with soda water for a sweet strawberry agua fresca. Add an extra splash of lemon or lime juice for a more sweet/tart flavor!
Strawberry Chia Jam
- 3 cups strawberries ripe, tops removed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup date paste *sub date syrup or coconut nectar
- 3 tablespoons white chia seeds
- Add the chopped strawberries to a saucepan along with water and lemon juice. Heat over medium while stirring occasionally, until strawberries become saucy. Remove from heat.
- Add 1/2 of strawberry mixture to a food processor or blender. Add date paste, and process until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Pour the rest of the strawberry mixture into the food processor, and pulse 2-3 times until strawberries are broken up but still have texture.
- Pour the strawberry syrup back into the saucepan, and sprinkle chia seeds over the top. Stir to prevent clumping. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes, and then stir well again before pouring into jars to store.
Other Strawberry Recipes:
- Paleo Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes
- Grilled Balsamic Chicken with Strawberry Cucumber Salad
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Greek Yogurt Tiramisu
I’d love to connect with you on social media! Find me on Facebook or Instagram where I post daily healthy eating and lifestyle inspiration.
This chia seed jam post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I will receive part of the sale as a commission. This helps me continue to bring you lots of fresh and inspired recipes!
Leave a Reply