This delicious Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce uses only 3 ingredients and takes about 5 minutes to make. While I won’t claim it’s healthy, it’s definitely a healthier option for when you want to splurge!
When first thinking about making a healthier caramel, I thought I would just mix cashew butter and date syrup together, heat it a bit, and drizzle it on. I tried it, but it was too-cashewy for what I had in mind.
After stumbling across Regina’s easy caramel sauce recipe, I knew coconut cream was the answer (coconut cream is the answer to MANY of life’s little problems).
So many uses for this delicious and rich coconut milk caramel sauce! — apple dip, frozen yogurt topping, drizzle onto cakes and pies — but for those things to happen, it has to last in my refrigerator a few days (my spoon made it’s way into the jar a few too many times last night).
Tips for Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce
- You can buy coconut cream at many stores now– it’s also available on Amazon. It is different than coconut milk – less water, condensed. I tested this using full fat coconut milk instead of coconut cream, and it still works. If you make this swap, just be aware that it will take about twice as long to boil down enough to make a thick sauce.
- Make it Paleo: I am not sure if date syrup is considered Paleo or not– so if you strictly adhere to Paleo, honey will work in this recipe as well.
Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce
- Add all 3 ingredients into a saucepan. Bring to a low boil over medium heat.
- Whisk the ingredients together about every minute.
- After about 5 minutes, drop a small amount of the sauce into a glass of cold water. If the sauce turns into a cloud, the sauce will be very thin. Retest the sauce every minute or so until the sauce turns into a small ball when dropped into the ice cold water. Depending on the temperature of your stove, this should take between 5-10 minutes.
- If subbing coconut milk (rather than using coconut cream), this process will take longer. I also found that the mixture foamed more while I am cooking it, so I needed to turn it down a bit more. It doesn't get quite as thick as the sauce made with coconut cream, but we still really enjoyed it.
Other Healthy Dessert Sauce Recipes:
- Vegan Date Caramel, by Nadia’s Healthy Kitchen
- Healthy 3 Ingredient Chocolate Sauce, by Whole Heartedly Healthy
- Paleo Lemon Curd, by Flavor and Savor
- Paleo Hot Fudge, by Vitamin Sunshine