One of the things I’ve learned from all my kitchen experimentation is that bananas rule.
They make an amazing substitute for sugar, eggs, and even oil. I have bananas in my freezer at all times now– pretty much since the day I stumbled upon this. In fact, I was so tempted by that recipe, I went out an bought a food processor. True story. Had never used one before.
Now, if you don’t have a food processor, take a look at the link up there, and check out this recipe, and tell me you aren’t tempted to go out and buy one. Soft serve ice cream, that’s sugar-free and dairy-free? A dream, for my lactose hating belly.
One night, I decided it would be great if I could add a bit of protein to it– then, of course, it would become a healthy dinner, right? So, in went some whey protein — and that’s when the magic happened.
The volume of my banana ice cream doubled. It fluffed up, coming out of my food processor light as a feather, like a cloud.
So quick and easy. Frozen bananas, and 5 minutes, and you’ve got yourself a healthy, frozen treat.
It’s like cold chocolate mousse- light, creamy, airy, and velvety. Yum!
- 3 bananas, frozen in chunks
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ scoop (10 g) whey protein powder, unflavored
- Add banana chunks to a food processor, and pulse until the bananas are broken up. Add the coconut milk, cocoa powder, and whey protein powder. Process until very smooth, and the volume has doubled in size.
- Once all the ingredients have come together, it will begin to puff up. Keep processing until very light and airy.