The perfect healthy gluten free banana bread for any occasion! Try a classic gluten free banana nut bread, or one of the more adventurous mix ins, like blueberries or raspberries.
*Today I’m partnering with Sharp Home USA ~ Sharp creates quality home appliances that make life easier! I’ve been using the Superheated Steam Countertop Oven for the past few months, and can’t wait to share how it makes cooking healthy meals easier. Thanks for supporting me and the brands I work with. I only share this space with the very best.
How do you make Gluten Free Banana Bread?
My favorite flours for gluten free baking are oat and almond flours. Both provide more nutrition than regular wheat flours, and when combined, make a great swap that doesn’t require adding gums or other binding agents.
The Healthy Ingredients Needed:
- Ripe Bananas
- Oat flour (certified gluten free, if necessary)
- Almond flour (lends a great sweetness!)
- Flax meal
- Moscavado sugar (this is an unrefined sugar, meaning the molasses and vitamins are still in tact. If this is hard to find, use brown sugar in it’s place.)
- Coconut Oil
This bread is super low in sugar (only 2 tablespoons a loaf!), because the bananas are caramelized, amplifying the natural sweetness in them. Don’t skip this step!
After gathering the ingredients for the gluten free banana bread base, it’s time to choose flavor mix-ins!
Healthy Gluten Free Banana Bread – 3 Ways!
The basic gluten free banana bread recipe here is perfect with a wide range of additions!
Keep your loaf simple, with only caramelized bananas. It’s perfect in its simplicity and makes such a wonderful snack or breakfast.
If you’re feeling wild like I was this week, add some flavor and crunch additions!
You’ll find instructions below to make this bread a classic banana nut bread, or a gourmet blueberry pecan or raspberry chocolate chip loaf.
Feel free to make this your own. Only want chocolate chips? Do it! Feel like banana hazelnut? Sounds delicious to me.
The best part about this recipe?
It’s perfect for the Sharp Home USA Superheated Steam Countertop Oven. I love the ease of use for this oven — no preheating is required, so making banana bread is so much faster!
The oven bakes with convection and superheated steam, so it cooks about 30% faster. Banana bread takes about 45 minutes to bake in a regular oven, but only 32 in the Sharp Home USA Superheated Steam Countertop Oven. Afternoon baking project simplified!
Gluten Free Banana Nut Bread
The most classic version of this gluten free banana bread recipe is banana nut! As much as I love the variations, there are times when only the original will do.
After trying a banana bread recipe with caramelized bananas, I will never go back to a traditional recipe. The step takes only a few minutes, and the result is a sweet, moist, deep banana flavored bread.
Adding a streusel topping is optional, but lends to a beautiful presentation and a fun crunchy texture.
A Blueberry Pecan Banana Bread
If you’re all about blueberries, then this is the option for you! I adore blueberries, especially mid summer when they are giant and super sweet.
Use frozen blueberries if fresh aren’t available.
The sweet and crunchy addition of pecans make this gluten free banana bread recipe irresistible! Of course, if you prefer, you can swap in a different nut, like chopped hazelnuts, almonds or walnuts. Even chocolate chips would be a delicious swap here!
The streusel topping I like to use on this variation is a combination of oats and pecans. The topping is optional!
Raspberry Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
Perhaps my favorite banana bread variation is adding raspberries and chocolate chips. Last year, I made a gluten free and sugar free banana bread with these additions. This version uses the same base as the other two recipes in this post, using a small amount of sugar and caramelized bananas for additional sweetness.
I typically add frozen raspberries to baking recipes, but fresh work as well.
Using high quality dark chocolate chips is a must! High cocoa content means lower sugar content, keeping this a healthy banana bread choice.
The streusel topping I use for the banana raspberry chocolate chip bread is a combination of oats and chopped chocolate chips. Use nuts if you prefer!
Gluten Free Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oats gluten free, if necessary
- 1 tablespoon walnuts or pecans chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon moscavado
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped finely
Raspberry Chocolate Chip*
- 1 cup raspberries fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Slice 4 ripe bananas lengthwise. Add them to a baking tray, and spray them lightly with coconut oil.
- Broil bananas in the Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven for 10 minutes, until the tops of the bananas have begun to brown.
- Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment or baking paper, and set aside.
- Mix together optional streusel topping ingredients. See notes below for variations on streusel topping for the Blueberry Pecan and Raspberry Chocolate Chip variations.
- If using a conventional oven, preheat oven to broil, and broil bananas for 15 minutes, or until tops have begun to brown.
- In a mixing bowl, add oat flour, almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, add yogurt, eggs, and coconut oil (melted). Mix well to combine, and then pour into the bowl with dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Add caramelized bananas to batter, along with walnuts, or optional additions (blueberries, raspberries or chocolate chips). If adding chocolate chips, allow the bananas to cool before mixing in to the batter, otherwise the chocolate will melt. Fold additional ingredients into batter.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan, and top with the optional streusel topping.
- Bake in the Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven at 350º F for 32 minutes.
- If baking in a conventional oven, preheat oven to 350º F and bake for 45-52 minutes, or until the center is set and the top is golden brown.
Other Gluten Free Dessert Recipes:
- Tres Leches Cake, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- The BEST Fudgy Brownies, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Peppermint Dark Chocolate Macaroons, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Chunky Monkey Paleo Banana Cookies, by The Endless Meal
This Gluten Free Banana Bread post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I will receive part of the sale as a commission. This helps me continue to bring you lots of fresh and inspired recipes!