These healthy Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies are full of good-for-you-ingredients and are low in sugar. With only 5 main ingredients, these take minutes to whip up. Keep these almond flour chocolate chip cookies in the freezer for quick snacks.
How to Make Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate chip cookies are a must, especially in the winter when spending so much time cozied up with a cup of coffee or tea in hand.
I was on the search for the perfect healthy chocolate chip cookie, and wanted it to look (and taste!) like the real deal, but be easy to make — only a handful of easy-to-acquire ingredients.
The first time I made these, I knew I had a winner. They bake up crispy around the edges, and chewy on the inside. A perfect cookie, loaded with lots of dark chocolate.
These healthy almond flour cookies need:
- Almond Flour
- Almond Butter
- Coconut oil
- Dark Chocolate Chips (I adore this brand)
These are so simple to make.
- Mix together almond flour with a pinch of salt and chocolate chips.
- In a smaller bowl, combine melted coconut oil with almond butter and honey.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix in chocolate chips.
- Add in cookie shapes (these cookies will not spread) to a baking tray, and bake.
Healthy Almond Flour Cookies
If you read my blog often, you know I bake a lot now. I love coming up with new healthy recipes, and I love indulging my sweet tooth!
The key to baking and not derailing a healthy eating strategy is to choose ingredients selectively. Sure, it’s easy (and cheap!) to just use standard recipes, white flour, and tons of sugar. The recipes almost always turn out because, hey, they are filled with sugar that melts into chewy goodness.
Low sugar, whole grain, and grain free baking does NOT always turn out perfect. I typically make my baking recipes 5+ times before posting them on the blog, to make sure the recipes will turn out.
And it takes a little practice, just like any other type of cooking. I’ve had to learn through trial and error that some brands of flours work better than others, some types of honey are sweeter than others, and not in all recipes is coconut oil and butter interchangeable.
However, it’s totally worth it once you’ve mastered a few recipes. Almond flour is an incredible flour to work with because it’s nearly fool proof. It’s naturally sweet, so not much sugar is needed for a good recipe. It also can’t be over mixed, so mix away without fearing tough baked goods.
To top it all off, it’s high in healthy fats (the monounsaturated kind), and satiating, meaning you probably aren’t going to overeat these cookies.
If you’re looking for other healthy (low sugar) cookie recipes, I suggest trying my Chocolate Covered Raisin Oatmeal Cookies, Gluten Free Snickerdoodles, and my super popular Sugar Free, Gluten Free Date Bars. If you want to try something nut free, my Irresistible Chewy Granola Cookies are a popular option as well. I’d love to hear back how these recipes work for you!
Tips for Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Sub any nut butter you have on hand for the almond butter. I most recently used cashew butter and they turned out perfect.
- Make it Paleo: To keep these Paleo, use an approved soy-free brand of dark chocolate chips. I love Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels. I buy these in a 5-lb. bag (yes, serious chocolate lovers here) because they are so expensive to buy by the bag! They last for months.
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, add almond flour, chocolate chips, and sea salt.
- In a small, microwave safe bowl, add almond butter, coconut oil, and honey. Microwave in 15-20 second intervals until mixture is warmed and liquid but not hot. Mix together well.
- Pour wet mixture over the almond flour mixture, and mix well to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper, and form small tablespoon sized balls of dough. Flatten into a cookie shape.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes, until just starting to brown on top.
- Allow to fully cool, and the cookies will firm up.
Other Paleo Cookie Recipes:
- Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Gluten Free Tres Leches Cake, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Coffee Pecan Pie Bars, by Cotter Crunch
- Paleo Fudge, by Sunkissed Kitchen
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.