The perfect Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies, made with an oatmeal cookie and a homemade raspberry jam. These fun-to-make cookies are irresistible!
*This post is sponsored by SunButter, a sunflower seed spread perfect for allergy-safe baking and cooking! Thanks for supporting the brands that keep Sunkissed Kitchen running.
The Perfect Oatmeal Thumbprint Cookie Recipe
If you’re looking for the perfect cookie recipe, this is it! A classic thumbprint recipe is remade with a 5-ingredient gluten free oatmeal cookie recipe.
These oatmeal thumbprint cookies are made with wholesome ingredients — whole sprouted rolled oats, SunButter sunflower seed butter, honey, and pastured butter. These are a cookie you can serve to your kids after school or as dessert, with confidence you are providing nutrients and not empty calories!
The oatmeal cookie base is chewy, and gets a caramelly flavor from the blend of SunButter and honey (they are just as good made with maple syrup, if you have that on hand!).
The cookies are gluten free (if you buy quality, sprouted gluten-free rolled oats), easily made vegan, and come together in about 10 minutes.
SunButter is my secret to healthier baking. Instead of adding a lot of starch and flour to my baked goods, I use it as a source of healthy fats, protein, fiber, and nutrients, like Vitamin E and selenium. If your kids are resistant to eating nuts and seeds, using this spread in healthier baked goods can help fill the gap!
Hop on over to the SunButter website to see where it’s sold near you!
I use the SunButter No Sugar Added variety the most often. I also love the Organic and the Chocolate SunButter. All 3 are great for this recipe! (see variations below to see how I use the Chocolate SunButter for a fun twist on these cookies!).
What You’ll Need
- Raspberry Jam (I make this Raspberry Chia Jam, or this Sugar Free Raspberry Jam for my cookies)
- Oats (I use sprouted gluten-free rolled oats. I love this brand because they are also glyphosate free).
- SunButter No Sugar Added (or sub Organic and add sea salt)
- Honey (maple syrup works too!)
- Sea Salt (omit if butter and SunButter are salted!)
How to Make Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
Step 1: Into a medium sized mixing bowl, add softened butter, SunButter No Sugar Added, and honey (or sub maple syrup). Mix together until smooth.
Step 2: Into the bowl, add the salt, oats, and blended oats (oat flour). Stir until combined. The dough will be a bit sticky.
Step 3: Scoop the dough into approximately 1-tablespoon mounds. Alternately, refrigerate the dough so you can roll the cookie dough into balls. Add to a lined baking sheet.
Step 4: Press an imprint into each of the cookie dough balls. I use a teaspoon round measuring spoon, but feel free to use your thumb!
Step 5: Add 1 teaspoon of raspberry jam into the center of each cookie.
Step 6: Bake cookies in a 350º F preheated oven for 12 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden. Allow cookies to cool prior to removing from the pan. They will firm up as they cool.
Is other fruit in season? Use whatever jam you have, or make jam out of whatever fruit is available at your local farmer’s market. I make chia jam with peaches, strawberries, and blueberries also! I’ve even made Pumpkin Butter Thumbprints in the past.
Make these Vegan Thumbprints: This recipe is easily vegan by using coconut oil in place of the butter, and maple syrup in place of the honey. Use what fits your needs!
Chocolate Raspberry Thumbprints: LOVE CHOCOLATE? So do I. And I adore Chocolate SunButter. I took this recipe, and filled the thumbprint with 1/2 teaspoon of Chocolate SunButter and 1/2 a teaspoon of raspberry jam — to create a surprise filling! Check out Instagram for a video of the results!
How to Store Thumbprint Cookies
Store leftover cookies in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Can I freeze thumbprint cookies? Yes, wrap the cookies in an air tight container and freeze up to 3 months. Allow to thaw for 20 minutes prior to serving!
Other Gluten Free Cookie Recipes
- Gluten Free Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Oatmeal Cookie Bars (with Raspberry & Chocolate Chips!)
- Monster Cookies or Monster Cookie Bars
Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add SunButter, honey, and softened butter, and mix together until creamy and smooth.
- Add salt if using Organic SunButter or unsalted butter. Also add in oats, and oat flour (whole oats blended into a flour). Stir in to combine.
- Scoop cookie dough into 1 tablespoon mounds. If you chill the batter, you can roll it into balls but I don't take the time to do that!
- Use thumb or a rounded teaspoon to press an indent into the center of each cookie.
- Fill each thumbprint with about 1 teaspoon of raspberry jam.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned.
- Allow cookies to cool and firm up before removing them from the baking pan.
- Store leftover cookies at room temperature for 2 days, or in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Freeze cookies for up to 3 months and allow to thaw at room temperature to serve.