The perfect healthy Chinese Chicken Salad, loaded with crunchy cabbage, carrots and toasted almonds. This tangy and sweet salad is made with a creamy dressing and topped with ginger marinated chicken.
Adore cabbage salad recipes? Try my super popular Asian Cabbage Salad, or this tangy Red Cabbage Salad with Apples and Walnuts.
This post is sponsored by SunButter— makers of my favorite Sunflower Seed Butter. As a peanut allergy sufferer, I value companies like SunButter who create healthy products that are not only delicious, but SAFE! Thank you for supporting the brands that help keep Sunkissed Kitchen running at full speed.
The Perfect Chicken Cabbage Salad
I have been hooked on Asian Cabbage Salads for years. Crunchy vegetables, tossed in super flavorful dressings, are the perfect way to entice everyone to eat more salad.
This salad is the perfect full meal. Tons of vegetables, a flavorful dressing made with healthy fats, topped with flavorful marinated chicken. This salad, or variations of it, are the recipe I make the most often in my own home. It’s just hard to go wrong!
A Chinese Chicken Salad is typically made with toasted ramen noodles. This version is kept sugar free and grain free using coconut aminos (it’s lightly sweet and a great gluten free soy sauce alternative) in the chicken marinade and in the salad dressing.
The salad ends up being sweet, sour, and a little spicy, with plenty of crunch!
What You’ll Need
- Marinated Chicken Breasts (coconut aminos, ginger, and sea salt)
- Cabbage (napa cabbage or green cabbage. Red cabbage adds a rainbow to this salad!)
- Mandarin Oranges
- Green Onions
- Sesame Seeds
The Perfect Sugar Free Asian Cabbage Salad Dressing
- SunButter sunflower seed butter (almond butter works too!)
- Rice Vinegar (unseasoned – no sugar)
- Sesame Oil
- Coconut Aminos
I love SunButter because it’s safe for peanut allergy sufferers (like me!), and also full of healthy fats and protein. I use it often on the Whole30 — spread on celery with a few raisins is an easy and delicious breakfast! The sugar free varieties are a great treat to help stave off sugar cravings!
How to Make Chinese Chicken Salad
Step 1: Add the chicken breasts to a large bowl or marinating container. Sprinkle with ginger and sea salt, and pour on the coconut aminos. Stir to combine well, and marinated for 2 hours or up to overnight.
Step 2: When ready to prepare the salads, grill or pan fry the chicken until its cooked throughout.
Step 3: Add all the dressing ingredients to a jar or a blender, and process until a smooth and creamy dressing is formed. It’s easier in a blender, but you can shake hard and it will come together in a jar.
Step 4: In a large salad bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, and oranges.
Step 5: Toss the salad with the salad dressing.
Step 6: Serve the Chinese cabbage salad topped with sliced chicken, almonds, sesame seeds, and green onions.
The Perfect Whole30 Chicken Salad
I adore salads like this that are easy to make ahead. This is ideal if you are doing the Whole30, or are just looking for healthier recipes that pack well for lunches.
This salad will have you craving your packed from home lunch!
FAQ & How to Store Leftovers
How to store leftover Chinese Chicken Salad
Store leftover cabbage salad (it’s fine to have it tossed in the dressing!) separate from the chicken and garnishes. When ready to eat, reheat the chicken if desired, or chop it up cold and add it to the salads. Top with nuts, seeds, and green onions.
Isn’t Chinese Chicken Salad made with Ramen?
Yes, it’s common in American to make Chinese chicken salad with toasted ramen noodles. I kept this salad gluten free and Whole30 by omitting the ramen noodles and adding more crunchy nuts and veggies! This healthier spin will become a favorite!
Other Whole30 Recipes to try:
- Whole30 Chicken Salad
- Whole30 Chili
- Paleo Turkey and Butternut Chili
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 3 Easy Whole30 Lunch Recipes
- Italian Pesto Zoodle Salad
- Thai Turkey Meatballs in Red Curry Sauce
If you make this recipe, be sure to share it with me! Find me on Facebook or Instagram and be sure to tag #SunkissedKitchen @SunkissedKitch
Whole30 Chinese Chicken Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts boneless/skinless
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 cups green cabbage or napa cabbage
- 1 cup red cabbage chopped
- 3 carrots julienned
- 6 mandarin oranges peeled and segmented
- 1 cup green onions chopped
- 1/3 cup almonds toasted (or sub toasted sunflower seeds)
- 1/4 cup SunButter Organic
- 6 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar unsweetened
- Add the chicken breasts to a large bowl or marinating container. Sprinkle with ginger and sea salt, and pour on the coconut aminos. Stir to combine well, and marinated for 2 hours or up to overnight.
- When ready to prepare the salads, grill or pan fry the chicken until its cooked throughout.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, and oranges.
- Toss the salad with the salad dressing.
- Serve the Chinese cabbage salad topped with sliced chicken, almonds, sesame seeds, and green onions.
Cabbage Salad Dressing
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a jar or a blender, and process until a smooth and creamy dressing is formed. It’s easier in a blender, but you can shake hard and it will come together in a jar.
This salad looks incredible! I am just so thrilled to try the dressing. Sounds like a perfect treat. Thanks and recipe saved.
It is a great recipe! So glad to hear you’re saving it!
I love this recipe and have made it multiple times. Absolutely delicious and healthy!