This Bloody Maria recipe is for the tequila lovers out there! Make your perfect cocktail by customizing the spice and adding your favorite garnishes.
The Perfect Bloody Maria Cocktail
Tomato juice cocktails are perfect for weekend brunches or summer afternoons. A blend of tomato juice, spices, and your favorite tequila, garnished with additions that add flavor and make a fun snack.
Many people drink Bloody Marys or Bloody Marias the morning after a night of drinking. A little alcohol, along with. nutrients and lots of hydrating juice, can work a little magic.
Whenever you choose to enjoy this delicious cocktail, here are some ideas for making it perfect.
Bloody Maria Drink Ingredients:
- Silver tequila
- Tomato juice or a vegetable juice cocktail
- Lime juice or lemon juice
- Hot sauce (I like Cholula, but Tobasco Sauce works also)
- Black pepper
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Celery Salt or Kosher Salt for the rim
- Optional: garlic powder, a Bloody Mary spice mix, cayenne pepper
Bloody Maria vs. Bloody Mary
A Bloody Maria is made of the same ingredients as a Bloody Mary, except the Mary’s vodka is swapped for tequila in a Bloody Maria.
You can use your favorite Bloody Mary ingredients or spice blend to make a Bloody Maria, or you can mix it up like I do, and add cilantro, swap the lemon juice for lime, and use a Mexican hot sauce. The best part of making cocktails at home is making them perfect for your taste!
What is the Best Tequila for a Bloody Maria?
The lighter flavor of silver tequilas are best for the bold flavors of a Bloody Maria.
My favorite low cost tequila for mixed drinks is Jose Cuervo Traditional. You can’t beat the price for the clean taste!
Also try: Herradura Silver or Corazon Silver.
If you love tequila, you’ll love this Scratch Margarita recipe, made with just fruit juice and tequila!
How to Make a Bloody Maria Drink
Step 1: Into a cocktail shaker, squeeze a lime, and add a handful of cilantro leaves. Also add tequila and a small scoop of ice. Use a muddler to crush the lime and cilantro leaves to infuse the tequila.
Step 2: Add your tomato juice and seasonings. You can just use a Bloody Mary spice mix, or opt for your own blend. I just use black pepper and hot sauce. Worcestershire sauce, Tobasco sauce, celery salt or garlic salt are all popular additions. I like to keep mine simple with a little spice. Shake up the cocktail to infuse the flavors and get it nice and cold.
Step 3: Wipe the edge of a glass with a lime, and then roll it in some kosher salt or cocktail salt. Fill the glass with ice. Pour the Bloody Maria over the glass with ice.
Step 4: The fun part! Add your favorite garnishes. For this cocktail, I’ve added olives, jalapeno slices, celery, and a lime wedge.
The Best Garnishes for a Tomato Juice Cocktail
- A Salted rim: I used a smoked salt for the cocktail in these photos! Kosher salt is great for rimming cocktails.
- Olives: Try something fun, like jalapeno stuffed olives.
- Lime wedges
- Jalapeno slices
- Pickled Asparagus, onions, or green beans
Love Making Cocktails at home? Try:
You might also LOVE:
Bloody Maria Cocktail
- 1 ounce silver tequila
- 1 lime wedge
- cilantro to taste (a small handful)
- 1 cup tomato juice or vegetable juice cocktail
- hot sauce Cholula or Tobasco sauce
- black pepper to taste
- celery salt
- lemon juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- celery stalks
- lime wedges
- jalapeno slices
- mini bell peppers
- Into a cocktail shaker, squeeze a lime wedge. Throw the lime wedge into the shaker tin, along with a handful of cilantro, the tequila, and some ice. Use a muddler to crush up the lime and cilantro.
- Add tomato juice or vegetable juice cocktail, and desired seasonings. Shake up the cocktail to make it extra cool.
- Use a lime to wet the edge of a glass, and roll it in kosher salt or cocktail salt. Fill the glass with ice, and pour the cocktail over the top.
- Add desired garnishes and enjoy!