This Everything Bagel Popcorn is a great whole grain, low calories snack — and who can resist the seasonings on an everything bagel? You better make this when you’re home alone at night, because trust me, you won’t want to share it.
I am a huge popcorn fan. Salty popcorn. It’s such a great healthy snack.
And everything bagels? Don’t even get me started. Forget the bagel, let me lick off the seasoning.
I started gathering all the ingredients for “everything seasoning” recently when I had this amazing idea to make savory everything waffles. I haven’t gotten around to actually trying that (doesn’t that sound amazing though? I will for sure let you know!), but then last week I bought a bag of popcorn and immediately thought of pouring on these seasonings.
There is nothing more relaxing than watching a movie with a big bowl of popcorn. When I go visit my mom, that’s something we always do. I am pretty sure (meaning, I’m positive) I am more into the popcorn than she is, but she’s so great at indulging me when I am there.
I was just at her house over Thanksgiving and Christmas this past year, and we were so excited about the return of the Gilmore Girls. We subscribed to Netflix just so we could watch the new episodes! And it might have spurred a little Netflix binge watching of the old episodes as well.
Watching TV is something I rarely do at home. I work a lot! And when I am not working, I am at the baby gym or the pool or the park. Sound familiar, moms? I think I have watched maybe 2 movies in the past 20 months (and honestly, I wasn’t a huge movie watcher before he was born either).
Watching him play and explore and learn new things is so much better than anything on the big screen.
I guess I will have to take this popcorn to the park.
Everything Bagel Popcorn Tips
- You can make your popcorn for this however you’d like. I like to microwave it. I just put it in a brown paper bag, or sometimes a glass baking dish with a cover, and microwave for 2-4 minutes, depending on how powerful your microwave is. I have found it tends to burn easier in the paper bags, and the glass dishes are more forgiving.
- For the Family: I am sure Xander would love this, or will some day, but I have read that popcorn isn’t safe for kids under 4 years old. Not everyone follows this rule (or knows about it), but the kernels can get lodged in their throats and make them choke. Bummer. More for me.
Everything Bagel Popcorn
- 1 ounce popcorn (a little more than 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- Pop popcorn either on the stovetop or in the microwave. Read tips for using the microwave above in post.
- Mix together all the seasonings.
- Drizzle melted butter on the popped corn, and then add the seasonings. Shake or stir to coat.
- If you want it to stick even better, using an oil sprayer and a little olive oil makes it stickier. I’ve also just used a fine mist of water before also to help seasonings stick better.
Other Healthy Popcorn Recipes:
- Champagne Caramel Popcorn, by How Sweet it Is
- Cilantro Lime Popcorn, by Bake your Day
- Monster Cookie Caramel Corn, by Sunkissed Kitchen
I’d love to connect with you on social media! Find me on Facebook or Instagram where I post daily healthy eating and lifestyle inspiration.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine says
O yum! I haven’t taken out my popcorn maker since the summer :O Insanity!
Robyn Gleason says
Love this healthy snack, Michelle – great idea. You can never have too many ways to eat popcorn! I’m definitely not sharing with anyone, lol. But I am sharing your post! Thanks for the shoutout 🙂
You had some amazing popcorn recipes when I started searching for some to link! Thanks for sharing this Robyn.
popcorn is one of my favourite snacks too! I love the idea of seasoning it with bagel topping! Going to try this for my next movie night!
I hope you love it as much as we do! It’s so addicting, just like those bagels.
Bintu - Recipes From A Pantry says
Yum, what a great spicy take on popcorn. Makes for a change
Lucy @ Supergoldenbakes says
All those seeds….. and your photos. I really would love a bowlful.
Thank you! I had more than a bowlful… yum!
Sara | Belly Rumbles says
This is such a great popcorn idea. I always get a little stuck on how to flavour my home popped corn. I will definitely be giving your recipe a go.
Wait a minute I’m missing out on something here, what is an everything bagel? This popcorn sounds utterly delicious so I’m very intrigued!
Ah Emily, an Everything Bagel is a very American thing! It’s just a bagel with the combination of seasonings in this recipe– so instead of just poppyseed or onion, you get “everything.” They are so delicious!
This is such an awesome idea! I love the thought of all those great flavours in popcorn.
Heather | Boston Girl Bakes says
OMGGGGGGG!! I’ve been on a major popcorn kick lately- whipping up some batches for a great healthy snack and just been sticking to parmesan and garlic- oh can’t wait to try this this weekend!! 🙂
Parmesan and italian seasoning are my regular go-to seasonings. This is a fun change!
peter @feed your soul too says
Such a creative idea. I like the name too.
Prasanna Hede says
what a combination of flavors in popcorn! I loved the idea of using sea salt here…lovely shots!
Yum Yum, it is a delicious post. 🙂