This Everything Bagel Popcorn is a great whole grain, low calories snack — and who can resist the seasonings on an everything bagel? You better make this when you’re home alone at night, because trust me, you won’t want to share it.
I am a huge popcorn fan. Salty popcorn. It’s such a great healthy snack.
And everything bagels? Don’t even get me started. Forget the bagel, let me lick off the seasoning.
I started gathering all the ingredients for “everything seasoning” recently when I had this amazing idea to make savory everything waffles. I haven’t gotten around to actually trying that (doesn’t that sound amazing though? I will for sure let you know!), but then last week I bought a bag of popcorn and immediately thought of pouring on these seasonings.
There is nothing more relaxing than watching a movie with a big bowl of popcorn. When I go visit my mom, that’s something we always do. I am pretty sure (meaning, I’m positive) I am more into the popcorn than she is, but she’s so great at indulging me when I am there.
I was just at her house over Thanksgiving and Christmas this past year, and we were so excited about the return of the Gilmore Girls. We subscribed to Netflix just so we could watch the new episodes! And it might have spurred a little Netflix binge watching of the old episodes as well.
Watching TV is something I rarely do at home. I work a lot! And when I am not working, I am at the baby gym or the pool or the park. Sound familiar, moms? I think I have watched maybe 2 movies in the past 20 months (and honestly, I wasn’t a huge movie watcher before he was born either).
Watching him play and explore and learn new things is so much better than anything on the big screen.
I guess I will have to take this popcorn to the park.
Everything Bagel Popcorn Tips
- You can make your popcorn for this however you’d like. I like to microwave it. I just put it in a brown paper bag, or sometimes a glass baking dish with a cover, and microwave for 2-4 minutes, depending on how powerful your microwave is. I have found it tends to burn easier in the paper bags, and the glass dishes are more forgiving.
- For the Family: I am sure Xander would love this, or will some day, but I have read that popcorn isn’t safe for kids under 4 years old. Not everyone follows this rule (or knows about it), but the kernels can get lodged in their throats and make them choke. Bummer. More for me.
Everything Bagel Popcorn
- 1 ounce popcorn (a little more than 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- Pop popcorn either on the stovetop or in the microwave. Read tips for using the microwave above in post.
- Mix together all the seasonings.
- Drizzle melted butter on the popped corn, and then add the seasonings. Shake or stir to coat.
- If you want it to stick even better, using an oil sprayer and a little olive oil makes it stickier. I've also just used a fine mist of water before also to help seasonings stick better.
Other Healthy Popcorn Recipes:
- Champagne Caramel Popcorn, by How Sweet it Is
- Healthy Popcorn Snacks (several recipes), by Simply Fresh Dinners
- Cilantro Lime Popcorn, by Bake your Day
- Cheesy Herbed Popcorn, by Vitamin Sunshine
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.