Master Air Fryer Chicken Thighs and then experiment with lots of flavorful seasonings! This simple chicken thigh recipe uses a blend of herbs and spices to create a super crispy coating. You’ll love this easy preparation!
If you love chicken thigh recipes, also try my Chicken Scarpariello or Chicken Marbella.
Bone-In Chicken Thighs in Air Fryer
I adore chicken thighs! The meat is naturally so tender and juicy, from the higher fat content than in chicken breasts.
I especially love bone-in thighs, baked until the skin is extra crispy. These Oven Baked Chicken Thighs are one of my most popular recipes all-time. Try them and you’ll see why!
The combination of herbs and spices gives them an amazing flavor, and the chicken skin is heavily coated, so when baked until crunchy gives the chicken an almost breading-like crunch.
Except no flour, no starches, and no sugar. Just pure goodness!
You’ll adore this air fryer adaptation because:
- The chicken thighs cook in half of the time of the oven-baked option!
- The simple ingredients are easy to keep on hand – just chicken thighs, and dried herbs and spices!
- There is no need to heat up your oven if you’re just feeding a few people.
- Air Fryers are easy to clean!
What You’ll Need
- Chicken Thighs (I highly recommend ordering your meats from ButcherBox! Read why below.)
- Olive Oil (or avocado oil)
- Kosher Salt (my favorite for meats)
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
What Air Fryer Should I Buy?
For Small Families: I use a 4 qt Ninja Air Fryer. We typically make meals for 1-2 people in it and it’s perfect for smaller meals.
For Larger Families or Meal Prep: This is a very popular large Air Fryer with a square basket, meaning you can cook more food. If you routinely make food for more than 4 people, I recommend choosing this option.
How to Make Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
Step 1: Mix together the herbs and spices in a small bowl.
Step 2: Drizzle the chicken thighs with olive oil, and rub it in to the skin on the top and bottoms of the thighs. This helps the spice blend stick better and also helps get the chicken skin extra crispy.
Step 3: Rub the kosher salt and spice blend into the chicken thighs. I like to push my fingers under the skin and season the meat below the skin as well. Be sure to coat the tops and the bottoms of the thighs! Use all the seasoning blend. The thick coating is part of the magic!
Step 4: Preheat the air fryer to 375º F for 5 minutes. Add the chicken thighs, and air fry for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken thighs, and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. The internal temperature should be 165º F, so if your thighs were especially large, you might want to check them with a meat thermometer (or just cut one open and make sure the juices run clear and there is no pink or blood inside).
Where to Buy the Best Chicken Thighs
There are a few reasons to be selective when you buy chicken!
- Omega 6 to Omega 3 Ratio: Conventionally raised chickens have a very high omega 6 to omega 3 ratio. The Standard American Diet is already high in Omega 6s, which is inflammatory and can lead to disease. Poultry that is raised on a natural diet, including grasses, has a significantly better ratio.
- Chickens raised in commercial feedlots (CAFOs) face inhumane conditions, including cramped living spaces, and are given antibiotics to prevent infections because of the overcrowded living conditions. These antibiotics are leading to antibiotic resistance in both animals and in their consumers.
I buy my chicken from ButcherBox, a convenient service that allows me to choose the meats I like to prepare, and then ships it to my door each month on dry ice.
I love knowing that my freezer is always stocked with healthy proteins, ready to cook throughout the month.
You can choose boxes that are packed for you, or make your own selections if you’re pickier about the cuts of meat you prepare.
ButcherBox often runs promotions for new members, including Free Ground Beef or Bacon for Life, or special holiday packs. Check them out and see what they are offering new members now!
Other Air Fryer Recipes
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs
- Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
- Air Fryer Baked Potato
If you make this recipe, be sure to share it with me! Find me on Facebook or Instagram and be sure to tag #SunkissedKitchen @SunkissedKitch
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- lemon wedges optional, for serving
- 3 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- Perheat the air fryer to 370º F. This lower heat will allow the skins to crisp up and the meat to cook through at the same time, without burning.
- Mix together the herbs and spices in a small bowl.
- Spray or drizzle the chicken thighs with oil, and then coat with the seasoning blend. Rub the oil and the seasoning all over the thighs, including under the skins.
- Add the thighs to the air fryer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Flip the thighs, and continue cooking for 5 more minutes, or until the thighs are cooked through. Thicker chicken thighs might take a few more minutes, so use a meat themometer if your thighs are particularly large.
Leave a Reply