Air fryer sweet potatoes make the process of baking sweet potatoes fast and foolproof! Rub the skins with oil and salt, and pop them in the air fryer while preparing the rest of your meal. This is the perfect way to make sweet potatoes for holiday meals or meal prep!
- 1 The Perfect Way to Cook Sweet Potatoes for Meal Prep
- 2 What You’ll Need
- 3 Is a Baked Potato or a Baked Sweet Potato A Healthier Choice?
- 4 How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- 5 Tips for the Best Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- 6 How to Serve or Use Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 7 Other Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love
- 8 Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
The Perfect Way to Cook Sweet Potatoes for Meal Prep
What You’ll Need
- Sweet Potatoes
- Avocado Oil (olive oil or coconut oil works well also!)
- Kosher Salt
I use the 4 QT Ninja Air Fryer, which is perfect for my little family. It heats quickly, cooks evenly, and is easy to clean. Definitely check it out if you’re in the market for a new air fryer!
If you’re cooking for more than 3, try the 5.5 qt extra large air fryer.
Is a Baked Potato or a Baked Sweet Potato A Healthier Choice?
White potatoes and sweet potatoes are both whole foods that are have beneficial nutrients, you might be wondering which one to include in your diet most often.
White Potatoes (per 100 g – this is about 1/2 a small potato):
- Glycemic Index: 10 (recommended 100 or less per day)
- Fiber: 2.3 grams
- Key Nutrients: A good source of potassium, calcium, magnesium, folate, vitamin C, and B6.
Sweet Potatoes (per 100 g – this is about 1/2 a small potato):
- Glycemic Index: 9 (recommended 100 or less per day)
- Fiber: 3.3 grams
- Key Nutrients: A great source of Vitamin A, B vitamins, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium and zinc.
Take away: Sweet potatoes are more fiber and nutrient dense. However, both are high in starch and should be eaten in limited quantities if you are trying to lose weight, or trying to regulate your blood sugar levels.
When choosing to include potatoes in your meals, eat fiber rich, low carb veggies first (like a salad or roasted broccoli!), and limit other sugars and starches after your meal.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
Step 1: Prep your sweet potatoes by spraying or brushing them with avocado oil, and then rubbing it in to the skin. Sprinkle with kosher salt. There is no need to pierce the skins of the potatoes. I have never had one explode and never do this with baked sweet potatoes.
Step 2: Preheat air fryer to 370º F. This is lower than what I cook most other foods at, but the potatoes will not cook through without the skin burning if you try to cook at a hotter temperature. Low and slow! Air fry the sweet potatoes for 40-45 minutes, until soft when pierced with a fork.
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
Choose Small to Medium Sized Potatoes. Large potatoes will not cook evenly or in the centers in an air fryer. If you have large sweet potatoes, cut them into several pieces, and then prep them as the potatoes are prepped in this recipe.
Meal Prep Sweet Potatoes: Leftover sweet potatoes are great for meal prep. Store any baked sweet potatoes you won’t be eating in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Enjoy cold, or slice in half and reheat in an air fryer preheated to 370º F for 15 minutes.
How to Serve or Use Baked Sweet Potatoes
A simple baked sweet potato is a delicious side dish for any meal you prepare!
You can also dress them up:
- Twice Baked Chicken Fajita Sweet Potatoes
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (4 ways! I adore the Greek salad version for a quick and easy lunch!)
- Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
If you don’t have an air fryer, try my Perfect Baked Sweet Potatoes made in an oven.
Other Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Air Fryer Asian Pork Meatballs
Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes small to medium in size
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- Preheat an air fryer to 370º F.
- Take washed and dried sweet potatoes, and spray or brush them with avocado oil. Rub the oil into the skins to cover them completely. Sprinkle them generously with kosher salt (I prefer a coarser grained salt for these!).
- Air fry the sweet potatoes for 40-45 minutes. You can flip them part way through the cooking time, but it's not necessary if you forget!