A healthy broccoli cauliflower salad, loaded with tons of flavorful toppings. This broccoli and cauliflower salad uses no mayo, and is topped with grapes, raisins, peppers, onions, sunflower seeds, and optionally, cheese. The perfect summer potluck dish!
A Healthy Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad Recipe
There is nothing quite like a loaded broccoli salad at a summer potluck or family gathering. Loading up a veggie salad with tons of delicious toppings is a great way to ensure everyone eats their veggies in a sea of meat and desserts.
Broccoli salad always tempts me at gatherings, but I am not a fan of mayo. A typical broccoli salad dressing is little more than mayo, vinegar and sugar. It really isn’t necessary. Tahini adds the same creaminess, but adds tons of vitamins and a bit of protein as well.
The key to make the best broccoli cauliflower salad is to add lots of toppings! Grapes, sunflower seeds and raisins are always a good bet. I also like to add peppers, and sometimes, cheese.
If you love bacon, fry some up, crumble it, and throw it on!
Making the Perfect Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
I have a secret that helps make broccoli and cauliflower salads extra delicious.
Before I toss the bite sized broccoli florets and cauliflower, I put the veggies in a colander and pour hot water over the vegetables. This isn’t enough to cook them, but it makes the broccoli a vibrant green color, and softens the vegetables, making them a better salad base.
Feel free to mix up these ingredients. We’ve used so many different toppings.
This salad is topped with:
- Sunflower seeds (I like them salted and toasted!)
- Cheddar cheese cubes (omit for vegan or Whole30)
- Yellow Bell Peppers (or any sweet variety!)
- Minced Red Onion (a great zing and beautiful color addition)
- Golden Raisins (another choice based on the color!)
The Perfect Picnic Salad
If you’re like me, you’ll be looking for excuses to make this healthy salad all summer long. Picnic lunches? BBQs? Birthday parties? Check, check, check.
If you’re looking for other great ideas for summer gatherings, try:
- Asian Cabbage Salad with Roasted Broccoli
- Summer Greek Quinoa Salad
- Kale Salad with Blueberries & Quinoa
- Mid Summer Dream Salad
Or, simply enjoy this as a light and filling lunch all on it’s own!
Happy summer eating 🙂
Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- 4 cups broccoli chopped finely
- 4 cups cauliflower chopped finely
- 1 bell pepper yellow or orange, diced
- 1 cup red grapes halved
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds toasted and salted
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese optional, cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey optional, or sub date syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add chopped broccoli and cauliflower to a large colander, and rinse with hot water. This softens up the vegetables and cleans them well at the same time. Set aside to allow them to cool.
- Prepare the dressing by adding all the ingredients into a jar, and shaking vigorously.
- Toss the cooled broccoli and cauliflower in the dressing, and then top the salad with all the toppings right before serving.
- This salad can be prepared ahead of time. Toss the broccoli and cauliflower in the dressing, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Add the toppings right before serving.
Other Broccoli Salad Recipes:
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon, from Sunkissed Kitchen
- No Mayo Broccoli Salad, from Sunkissed Kitchen
- Best Broccoli Salad Recipe, from Love and Lemons
This Broccoli Cauliflower Salad post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I will receive part of the sale as a commission. This helps me continue to bring you lots of fresh and inspired recipes!