A healthy broccoli salad with bacon is the perfect side dish for summer picnics and BBQs. Loads of flavorful toppings give this healthy broccoli salad a fun twist. This broccoli bacon salad is perfect for paleo and whole30 diets.
This post is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm — a company committed to bringing you high quality breakfast meat options. I love that this company has healthier options, such as no sugar and nitrate free bacon, and no antibiotics ever, and sugar free turkey and chicken sausage. I only work with brands whose products I genuinely love. Thank you for supporting the brands that help keep Sunkissed Kitchen running!
A Fully Loaded Broccoli Bacon Salad
Hello, summer, and hello warm weather potlucks, picnics, and BBQs!
Whenever I go to a gathering, I am quick to offer up bringing a salad or veggie side dish. That way, I know there’s something healthy for me to eat, rather than ending up eating foods I’d rather not.
I started making this broccoli salad (or versions or it!) years ago and let me tell you– I was blown away by how many people ALSO craved a veggie-packed salad without the mayo dressing!
A typical broccoli salad is coated with a dressing made of mayonnaise, lots of sugar, and vinegar. Is it delicious? Maybe. But the creamy tahini dressing on this version is DEFINITELY delicious, and a whole lot healthier.
This Whole30 Broccoli Salad is Loaded with:
- Crisp, fresh, GREEN broccoli — what a delicious base!
- BACON! (the BEST No Sugar Hickory Smoked Bacon from Jones Dairy Farm)
- Sweet grapes
- Chewy golden raisins
- Crunchy, toasty pecans
- Zippy red onions
- and yellow bell peppers (because more veggies!)
All tossed and blanketed in a deliciously lemony tahini dressing.
How to Make the Perfect Broccoli Salad
This salad is perfect for making for large groups of people, because it’s so easy to make, and holds well for days, so it’s okay to make ahead.
For the perfect crunchy broccoli salad:
- Chop or process broccoli into small bits.
- Rinse broccoli with hot water (which brings out the vibrant green color, but leaves the broccoli crunchy).
- Whisk 5 ingredients together to make the perfect Lemon Tahini Dressing, season with salt and pepper, and then toss the broccoli in the creamy goodness.
- Cook your Jones Dairy Farm No Sugar Hickory Smoked Bacon until it’s crisp, then drain.
- Top your salad with chopped peppers, grapes, pecans, golden raisins, red onions, and BACON!
Tips for Making this Broccoli Salad Recipe Ahead of Time:
If you’d like to prepare this salad ahead of time, toss the broccoli in the dressing, and top with grapes, raisins, and peppers.
I keep the onions, bacon, and pecans separate until right before serving.
This is to keep the pecans and bacon crisp, and to prevent the onion from taking over the flavor of the salad.
A Whole30 and Paleo Broccoli Salad
As written, this broccoli salad is Whole30 and paleo friendly. Occasionally, I add diced cheddar to my broccoli salads, which you can certainly do if the mood strikes!
The star here? Jones Dairy Farm No Sugar Hickory Smoked Bacon. If you’re on a paleo or Whole30 diet, or simply looking to eat healthier, you’ll want to seek this out!
I love the simplicity of Jones Dairy Farm products. Meat, spices, lemon juice, that’s it. Seriously it.
This bacon is a fav in our house now. I promise — when you try it, you’ll wonder exactly why sugar is added to bacon at all.
To find Jones Dairy Farm No Sugar Hickory Smoked Bacon, or other great products, like Jones Dairy Farm’s breakfast sausage or Canadian bacon, visit the product locator on the Jones Dairy Farm website.
Other Topping Suggestions:
- Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, cashews, or toasted almonds
- Chopped cauliflower
- Dried cranberries or chopped dried apricots
- Try it Keto-Friendly by omitting the grapes, raisins and onions, and adding extra bacon, some chopped cheddar cheese, and some avocado.
Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- 10 cup broccoli chopped small
- 1 8 ounce Jones Dairy Farm Sugar Free Bacon
- 1 bell pepper orange
- 1 cup red grapes halved
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped finely
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop broccoli in small pieces, and add to a colander. Run hot water (or boiling from a kettle) over broccoli to soften. Allow to drain well.
- Prepare salad dressing by adding all ingredients to a jar, and shaking well.
- Once the broccoli has drained well, add the broccoli to a large serving bowl, and toss with dressing. Refrigerate the dressed broccoli until ready to serve the salad.
- Slice bacon in small pieces, and cook to package directions. Drain on paper towels.
- When ready to serve, top the salad with all ingredients, and toss.
- If preparing this salad in advance, top the dressed broccoli with bell peppers and grapes. Store bacon, red onion, and pecans separately and add to the salad right before serving.
Other Whole30 Salad Recipes:
- Whole30 Chicken Salad, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Whole30 Chinese Chicken Salad, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Whole30 Chicken Caesar Salad, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Italian Pesto Zoodle Salad, by Sunkissed Kitchen (use a dairy free pesto)
I’d love to connect with you on social media! Find me on Facebook or Instagram where I post daily healthy eating and lifestyle inspiration.
This Broccoli Salad with Bacon post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I will receive part of the sale as a commission. This helps me continue to bring you lots of fresh and inspired recipes!
Tania Sheff says
Love the combination of these flavors! Absolutely amazing!
Thank you! It’s an amazing salad 🙂
Best Broccoli Salad EVER….