This Dreamy Chocolate Chip Mint Smoothie is like having a milkshake for breakfast! A green smoothie packed with healthy ingredients, in the form of my favorite ice cream flavor.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Mint Smoothies
This smoothie still gets me excited every time I make it. The flavors are so close to my favorite ice cream, but hidden in the glass is a serving of fruit, a serving of veggies, and lots of protein. Throw in some dark chocolate chips (antioxidants!) for good measure, and it’s a party at breakfast time.
To make these smoothies, you’ll need:
- Frozen Bananas (peel, cut and freeze overnight – or your smoothie won’t be thick like ice cream)
- Greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt, to keep these dairy free)
- Coconut Milk (the full fat kind, in a can!)
- Optional protein powder (I like BioChem Natural Whey Protein)
- Lots ‘o Spinach
- Vanilla and Peppermint Extracts
- Dark Chocolate Chips (or chopped dark chocolate)
The only real planning needed for this recipe is to have bananas frozen. Don’t skip this step, or your smoothie won’t have the thick effect of a milkshake. And that’s what we are going for here 🙂
This smoothie is the most photographed recipe on my blog (because we have been making it for years and it just doesn’t get old!).
Years of photographs to show where this blog has come in terms of quality content!
A Thick Ice Cream Like Green Smoothie Recipe
My son didn’t know “ice cream” other than these smoothies the first couple years of his life. If you use ice and frozen bananas, and have a strong blender like a Vitamix, the result will be a super creamy and thick, almost Blizzard like treat. Except – packed with nutrients rather than empty calories.
We love these as an afternoon treat or a dessert at night. I always keep bananas frozen so we can whip these up whenever the craving hits.
To get the perfect bits of chocolate throughout the smoothie, first process all the ingredients until a light and fluffy texture is achieved.
Then, add the chocolate chips, and pulse to break them up. You want them to be small enough to get through a straw, but big enough to have little bits to chew on, like in the ice cream.
Tips for Dreamy Chocolate Chip Mint Smoothie
- I make my green smoothies with ice-cube sized frozen spinach cubes. If you can’t buy those (or don’t want to), you can make your own by adding 1 cup of water, and as much fresh spinach as you can to your blender. Process until the spinach is broken up, then freeze in an ice cube tray. Once the cubes are frozen, put in a sealed freezer bag, and then add to smoothies. For this recipe, use these cubes in place of both the ice and the spinach cubes.
- I love BioChem Whey Protein Isolate. I buy the natural/unflavored one. It has a great flavor, and adds “fluff” to smoothies– I add it even when I don’t need extra protein (just a tablespoon really helps) because it makes the texture so much creamier. I highly recommend trying it! Plus, it’s grass fed dairy.
- Make it Dairy Free / Vegan: Substitute coconut or soy yogurt, and your favorite unflavored or vanilla protein powder. Everyone can find a way to enjoy this Chocolate Chip Mint Smoothie.
- For the Family: I love giving my toddler smoothies, and this Chocolate Chip Mint Smoothie is his favorite. It’s so easy to pack them with nutritious ingredients, and make them taste like a treat. This is a great one if your child doesn’t want a green smoothie, because mint is supposed to be green! And they are most likely familiar with mint ice cream, and this matches the color.
Chocolate Chip Mint Smoothie
- 1/2 cup coconut milk full fat, canned
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or plain greek yogurt
- 2 bananas chopped and frozen
- 4 cups spinach or use 10 frozen spinach cubes, see notes
- 6 ice cubes
- 20 grams natural whey protein
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2-1 teaspoon peppermint extract peppermint extracts vary in intensity - so start small!
- 2 tablespoons 85% dark chocolate chopped, or sub dark chocolate chips
- 1/4-1/2 cup water optional, if needed
- Add the liquid ingredients first, followed by the rest of the smoothie ingredients, leaving out the chocolate chips. Process until very smooth and creamy, and the spinach is fully incorporated.
- Add the chocolate, and pulse 5-6 times until the chocolate is broken up, but still in chunks.
- Top with more chocolate chips, and enjoy while it's thick.
Other Smoothies that Taste Better than Dessert:
- Creamy Chocolate Hemp Smoothie for 2, by OhSheGlows
- Dark Chocolate Cherry Chai Smoothie, by How Sweet It Is
- Strawberry Colada Green Smoothie, by Vitamin Sunshine
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Smoothie Bowl, by Vitamin Sunshine
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.