This Raw Pasta Primavera will satisfy your pasta cravings, with a nutrient dense, grain free, cucumber “pasta.” Tossed with seasonings, tons of marinated veggies, and parmesan, this salad masquerades as a noodle dish.
If you’ve been following me on Instagram, you know all about my love affair with my new OXO spiralizer. If you love pasta, but want to cut back, this kitchen gadget is for you!
And even if you aren’t a big pasta lover (I really am not!), this gadget is for you if you want to reinvigorate your salads (My Spiralized Cucumber Chicken Waldorf Salad is AMAZING!).
I’m not a big “gadget” pusher. I don’t have a ton. I couldn’t live without my Vitamix or my food processor, but that’s really the extent of my “must haves.” But if I had to add another to that list, I think a spiralizer would top even my slow cooker or juicer.
Now, when it comes to food containers, it’s a whole different story. If you looked in my cupboards, you’d laughed. I have so many different dishes and glass– always in sets of 2. I can’t photograph 4 at a time, so why spend the money on them? I have beautiful tart pans, silicon ice cube trays (and additional ones in different designs), wooden and bamboo salad bowls, antique salad tongs, hand blown glasses, you name it. That’s what food photography does to you. Makes you a Crate and Barrel-Pier One-World Market-discount-kitchen-ware-bin-junky. And the Amazon App on my iPhone is dangerous. I see a recipe I like on Pinterest, and in 2 days, I have the pan for it in my kitchen. Unfortunately, there are only so many recipes I can make. Some of those impulse buys are still clogging up my baking cupboard.
I had a spiralizer before my OXO, and I used it often during my Whole30 experience earlier this year. That is when I fell in LOVE with Butternut Noodles. Butternut noodles are amazing- the thin cuts makes them roast super sweet and get crunchy bits where they cook against the pan. However, they certainly aren’t a sub for pasta that will be fooling anyone. You can’t twirl them around your fork.
But cucumber noodles, oh delicious cucumber noodles- they twirl so well! And no cooking required. They are refreshing, light, flavorful, and covered in a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, make an excellent stand in for pasta. I love them so much more than zucchini noodles. I haven’t tried cooking them, but why not? Thai use cucumber in hot stir fries- so many I will try them cooked soon!
Raw Pasta Primavera Tips
- Save time/Make it Ahead: Prepare the veggies as a part of your weekly meal prep. You can even marinate them up to a day ahead of time. This dinner comes together quickly once the veggies are chopped an marinated, so if that step is done, it will only take you 10 minutes to pull dinner together!
- Make it Vegan: Omit the parmesan cheese- although I think this is a huge part of what makes it taste like pasta to me! Try using a vegan parmesan using cashews, nutritional yeast and sea salt.
- Make it Paleo/Whole30: Try the same substitution for parmesan cheese as listed above.
- Increase the Protein: Grilled chicken, salmon or shrimp would be a great addition to this dish! To keep it cooling and easy to put together, try a hard boiled egg.
Refreshingly Light Raw Pasta Primavera
- 3/4 cup broccoli chopped finely
- 3/4 cup cauliflower chopped finely
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper sliced (I used red)
- 20 black olives
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 English cucumbers spiralized
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley chopped finely, to garnish
- In a covered dish, add chopped broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, olives, bell peppers, and carrot.
- Drizzle all dressing ingredients over the tops of the vegetables, and shake around to mix well.
- Refrigerate vegetables to marinate for at least an hour, up to overnight.
- Spiralize the cucumber, and add 1/2 a cucumber to each plate. Sprinkle the cucumber "noodles" with parmesan cheese, and lightly season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Divide the marinated veggies over the 4 plates of "pasta."
- Garnish with more parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, and chopped walnuts or seeds.
- Serve cold!
Other Veggie Noodles Dishes:
- Zucchini Noodle Stir Fry, by Diethood
- Chicken Zoodle Soup, by Damn Delicious
- Spiralized Sweet Potato Enchilada Skillet, by Sweet Peas and Saffron
- Spiralized Cucumber Waldorf Chicken Salad, by Vitamin Sunshine
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchases made.