A fun high protein way to enjoy your favorite pizza flavors — Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breasts. This easy recipe uses pesto, Canadian bacon, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese for a flavorful and easy chicken dinner.
How to Make Stuffed Chicken Breasts
If you love pizza, but are watching your carb intake (or simply are looking or a fun way to dress up a chicken dinner recipe!), this stuffed chicken recipe is for you!
I adore mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce, but I like to find alternative ways to enjoy these flavors, rather than carb-heavy pizza.
For this simple recipe, you’ll need:
- 4 small chicken breasts
- Pesto (jarred or homemade)
- Canadian bacon, pepperoni, or your favorite pizza toppings
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Optionally, add cherry tomatoes and fresh basil
To make this healthy stuffed chicken recipe:
- First, place the chicken inside a plastic bag, and use a mallet or a rolling pin to pound the chicken into a flat, even layer.
- Next, remove the chicken breast from the plastic, and spread a tablespoon of basil pesto over the top. Tons of flavor here!
- Then, add 2 slices of Canadian bacon. If you prefer, add pepperoni, or even some olives and pineapple. Whatever you’d put on your pizza, you can throw on here!
- Roll the chicken up, being careful to tuck the toppings in well.
- Brown the chicken in a hot frying pan, for 3-5 minutes per side. Don’t try to cook the chicken through or the cheese will melt and come out of your chicken roll ups.
- Remove the pan from heat, and top each chicken roll up with a tablespoon of pizza sauce and more cheese!
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling out of the centers.
- Serve hot!
Your Favorite Pizza Flavors
We love stuffed chicken recipes. It’s a great way to add a little pizzazz to a protein-centered dinner. One of my favorite versions is this healthy Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken. Also try this delicious Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts.
Recently, I’ve had pizza on the brain! If you have too, you might way to try my Sweet Potato pizza crust or my paleo pizza crust. Both are healthy options and kid approved.
I know it’s not just me — the pizza recipes I share are always the most popular! A universal comfort food, and these pizza stuffed chicken breasts are sure to satisfy that craving!
If you’re not a fan of Canadian bacon (or don’t have it on hand), try one of these toppings instead:
- Pepperoni or turkey pepperoni
- Pineapple (oh yes! Amazing with the pesto!)
- Cream cheese for a 3 cheese stuffed chicken breast
- Tomato slices (for a caprese version)
- Other favorite pizza toppings??
Pesto Chicken with Cheese and Ham
I adore recipes like this because it’s really more of a suggestion than a recipe. Yes, this combination of pesto, ham, and cheese is especially magical, which is why I am sharing it, but it’s super versatile.
It’s also a one pan meal. With a main course as full of flavor as this, keep the side dishes minimal. I serve this chicken with a simple green salad (usually just greens and chopped walnuts or olives).
Other Stuffed Chicken Recipes:
- Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts, by Cooktoria
- Cheesy Fajita Stuffed Chicken, by The Endless Meal
I’d love to connect with you on social media! Find me on Facebook or Instagram where I post daily healthy eating and lifestyle inspiration.
Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 chicken breasts small (3-4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 8 slices Canadian bacon
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- basil optional, to garnish
- Add each chicken breast to a large plastic bag, and use a mallet or a rolling pin to flatten chicken into an even and thin layer.
- Take each chicken breast, and season with salt and pepper lightly.
- Spread each chicken breasts with 1 tablespoon of pesto, add 2 slices of Canadian bacon, and top with 2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese.
- Roll chicken breasts.
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Brown the chicken roll ups, cooking for about 4-5 minutes per side over high heat. Remove skillet from heat.
- Top each chicken breast with 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce and the remaining cheese. Add cherry tomatoes to the skillet between the chicken breasts.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 17-20 minutes, until the chicken breasts are baked through.
- Garnish with shredded basil and serve immediately.
What a fun idea, chicken breast definitely benefits from some added flavor such as through a stuffing. I like that you put roasted tomatoes on the side too – always a good idea!
You are going to win my daughter & husband’s hearts with this!! How COOL!!! It’s everything my family adores all in one dish LOL! I must try this, thanks for the fun idea & step-by-step photos!
This recipe looks incredible! I have to make it soon!
Tayler Ross says
Two of my favorite dinners combined: pizza and chicken! I can’t wait to try this delicious recipe!