A fun high protein way to enjoy your favorite pizza flavors — Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breasts. This easy recipe uses pesto, Canadian bacon, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese for a flavorful and easy chicken dinner.
How to Make Stuffed Chicken Breasts
If you love pizza, but are watching your carb intake (or simply are looking or a fun way to dress up a chicken dinner recipe!), this stuffed chicken recipe is for you!
I adore mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce, but I like to find alternative ways to enjoy these flavors, rather than carb-heavy pizza.
For this simple recipe, you’ll need:
- 4 small chicken breasts
- Pesto (jarred or homemade)
- Canadian bacon, pepperoni, or your favorite pizza toppings
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Optionally, add cherry tomatoes and fresh basil
To make this healthy stuffed chicken recipe:
- First, place the chicken inside a plastic bag, and use a mallet or a rolling pin to pound the chicken into a flat, even layer.
- Next, remove the chicken breast from the plastic, and spread a tablespoon of basil pesto over the top. Tons of flavor here!
- Then, add 2 slices of Canadian bacon. If you prefer, add pepperoni, or even some olives and pineapple. Whatever you’d put on your pizza, you can throw on here!
- Roll the chicken up, being careful to tuck the toppings in well.
- Brown the chicken in a hot frying pan, for 3-5 minutes per side. Don’t try to cook the chicken through or the cheese will melt and come out of your chicken roll ups.
- Remove the pan from heat, and top each chicken roll up with a tablespoon of pizza sauce and more cheese!
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling out of the centers.
- Serve hot!
Your Favorite Pizza Flavors
We love stuffed chicken recipes. It’s a great way to add a little pizzazz to a protein-centered dinner. One of my favorite versions is this healthy Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken.
I know it’s not just me — the pizza recipes I share are always the most popular! A universal comfort food, and these pizza stuffed chicken breasts are sure to satisfy that craving!
If you’re not a fan of Canadian bacon (or don’t have it on hand), try one of these toppings instead:
- Pepperoni or turkey pepperoni
- Pineapple (oh yes! Amazing with the pesto!)
- Cream cheese for a 3 cheese stuffed chicken breast
- Tomato slices (for a caprese version)
- Other favorite pizza toppings??
Pesto Chicken with Cheese and Ham
I adore recipes like this because it’s really more of a suggestion than a recipe. Yes, this combination of pesto, ham, and cheese is especially magical, which is why I am sharing it, but it’s super versatile.
It’s also a one pan meal. With a main course as full of flavor as this, keep the side dishes minimal. I serve this chicken with a simple green salad (usually just greens and chopped walnuts or olives).
If you try this recipe, be sure to let me know in the comments below, or tag @SunkissedKitch on Instagram!
Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 chicken breasts small (3-4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 8 slices Canadian bacon
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- basil optional, to garnish
- Add each chicken breast to a large plastic bag, and use a mallet or a rolling pin to flatten chicken into an even and thin layer.
- Take each chicken breast, and season with salt and pepper lightly.
- Spread each chicken breasts with 1 tablespoon of pesto, add 2 slices of Canadian bacon, and top with 2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese.
- Roll chicken breasts.
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Brown the chicken roll ups, cooking for about 4-5 minutes per side over high heat. Remove skillet from heat.
- Top each chicken breast with 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce and the remaining cheese. Add cherry tomatoes to the skillet between the chicken breasts.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 17-20 minutes, until the chicken breasts are baked through.
- Garnish with shredded basil and serve immediately.
Other Stuffed Chicken Recipes:
- Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken, by Sunkissed Kitchen
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts, by Cooktoria
- Cheesy Fajita Stuffed Chicken, by The Endless Meal
This Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breasts post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I will receive part of the sale as a commission. This helps me continue to bring you lots of fresh and inspired recipes!