A healthy dinner go-to at our house, these Oven Baked Sweet Potato Wedges have so much flavor! Cut in wedges and generously seasoned, they bake up with crisp edges and a sweet, creamy interior. This is a recipe you’ll come back to again and again.
Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Once you’ve tried this easy method for roasting sweet potatoes, there’s no turning back!
It takes minutes to slice up some sweet potatoes in wedges, drizzle them with olive oil, and toss them in a flavorful seasoning mix.
Pop them in the oven until they are crisp around the edges, and become soft and creamy in the middle.
They are perfect alongside your grilled meats or salads, and don’t need a dip or sauce!
While I am a huge fan of baked sweet potatoes, these bake in half the time.
Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, iron and potassium. When you’re in need of energizing carbs, they are a nutrient dense and delicious option!
What You’ll Need
- Sweet Potatoes (I prefer roasting the orange fleshed sweet potatoes), cut into wedges
- Olive Oil (or avocado oil)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes in the Oven
Step 1: Mix together salt and spice blend.
Step 2: Add sweet potatoes sliced in wedges into a bowl or dish, and drizzle them with olive oil. Rub the olive oil into the potatoes to evenly coat.
Step 3: Sprinkle the potatoes with the seasoning mix, and rub it in to evenly coat them.
Step 4: Add the sweet potatoes to a large lined baking sheet, and spread the sweet potato wedges out so they each have a little space. This allows the edges to become crisp.
Step 5: Bake the sweet potatoes at 450º F for 35-40 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the interiors are soft and creamy.
How to Serve Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
- Alongside sandwiches and burgers.
- On the side of a protein-packed salad, like this healthy Chinese Chicken Salad.
- With your favorite dip — a homemade ranch or ketchup would be great!
- Alongside your favorite protein — try these Oven Baked Crispy Chicken Thighs or Air Fryer Pork Chops.
FAQ & How to Store
How to Season Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are perfect seasoned simple with olive oil, salt and pepper. I gave these a little extra savory flavor (such a great contrast with the sweet creamy potatoes!), by adding paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder.
Cinnamon, cumin, and cayenne are also great flavor additions to roasted sweet potatoes!
How to Store Leftover Sweet Potato Wedges
Store leftover sweet potatoes wrapped tightly in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. They are great chopped up and scrambled with eggs, added cold on top of salads, or reheated in the oven and served again.
How to Roast Whole Sweet Potatoes with Skin
A guide on how to bake sweet potatoes is found here. Whole baked sweet potatoes are roasted at 400º F for over an hour. I rub the skins with olive oil, season them with kosher salt, and pop them in the oven (no need to wrap them in foil!). This allows the skin to dry out and get crisp.
This recipe slices them in wedges, so they bake faster. Both options are delicious!
How Long to Roast Sweet Potatoes
The length of time it takes sweet potatoes to roast depends on how big the potatoes are. The ones I used for this recipe were very large, so it took 45 minutes. If the potatoes are on the smaller side, they will be done in 35 minutes.
Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork to determine if they are soft and creamy inside. The edges will begin to brown and start to have a crisp exterior.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Pizza Crust
- Sweet Potato Soup with Roasted Red Peppers
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes leave skins on, or peel if desired, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Mix together salt and spice blend.
- Add sweet potatoes sliced in wedges into a bowl or dish, and drizzle them with olive oil. Rub the olive oil into the potatoes to evenly coat.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the seasoning mix, and rub it in to evenly coat them.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a large lined baking sheet, and spread the sweet potato wedges out so they each have a little space. This allows the edges to become crisp.
- Bake the sweet potatoes at 450º F for 35-40 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the interiors are soft and creamy. Smaller potatoes will be done in 35 minutes. If the sweet potatoes are large, they will take closer to 40 or 45 minutes.